Fitness Fun at Baystate and At Home
The Invitational Team Steps Challenge
Get ready for this weekly team-based competition, beginning April 3. You’ll have one week for registration and warm up, and then the competition officially starts on April 10. There are 5 rounds of competition and each week your team will be matched up with a team performing similarly to you. Track your steps anyway you choose, via a fitness device, mobile app, or step counter (pedometer). Watch for your official registration email from WebMD on Wednesday, April 3 (requires that you are registered for the WebMD portal).
Other Fitness Challenges
Several times a year we offer online challenges through the WebMD portal. We encourage you to join the fun! Watch for your invitation from 'WebMD-Baystate Healthy' at the start of each challenge registration period.
Find Fitness Centers and Activities Near Your Home
See the current listing of a variety of classes and fitness centers by town.
Re-energize During the Workday
Classes are currently being taught at 361 Whitney Ave. in Holyoke. Check out the current schedule in the monthly calendar
- VIDEO: This guided stretch routine that will re-energize your mind and body.
- VIDEO: Try this 10-minute Resistance Band Exercise Break at your workstation.
- Fitness DVDs Available for Home Use: View the full list or borrow a DVD.
Indoor Walking Routes
Choose your location and walk inside when weather permits!
Join or Start
a walking club at your work location!
Bike Rack Locations
- Baystate Medical Center: Daly Garage, outside Chestnut entrance, Emergency Department ambulance entrance. Also: 3300 Main Street, 3350 Main St, 354 Birnie Ave, 280 Chestnut St, 361 Whitney Ave, Walter Street Parking Garage.
- Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center: North entrance, main entrance
- Baystate Franklin Medical Center: Human Resources entrance, main entrance
$150 Fitness & Stress Reduction Program Reimbursement: Employees who are enrolled in a Baystate Health-Health New England medical plan are eligible to receive up to $150 reimbursement for the purchase of a qualifying fitness center membership, fitness classes, or personal training.
WebMD Health Coaching - Weight Management
Weight Management coaching is a 1 year program dedicated to managing weight as part of improving overall well-being. Your coach will help you:
- Establish positive patterns that become part of every day life
- Emphasize consistency and accountability
- Uncover and unlock emotional triggers to facilitate positive changes
For more information about the new and no-cost WebMD Health Coaching program, click here.
All benefits-eligible Baystate Health employees receive 100% coverage on Weight Watchers membership!
Mountain View Farm - CSA Farm Shares
2019 Summer Farm Share - Mountain View Farm in Easthampton, MA has been providing Baystate Health employees fresh, nutritious and certified organic produce since 2006. Sign up for the 2019 Summer program at 2018 prices until November 30! Each farm share purchase provides access to fresh and certified organic produce, delivered to 3601 Main St. (N Lot) in Springfield. Shareholders receive a weekly distribution of seasonally available produce delivered directly by the farmer from June - October 2019. Complete the Shareholder Agreement form by May 30, 2019.
Eat for Life
Eat for Life is 10-week mindful eating course using mindfulness as the foundation for learning to create a healthy relationship with food, mind, and body. This non-diet approach to eating advocates self and body acceptance as the first step in making changes. The program qualifies for the BH-HNE $150 reimbursement. View the local-based programs taught by the Mindful Awareness Practice Center.
One of the best things you can do for your health is to eat real, whole, unprocessed foods. Below are materials and tools to help you do it on your own!
If you missed any of our weekly educational emails throughout the Keep it Real Food Challenge, you can get them here.
Grocery Store Checklist: Use this handy grocery checklist for your trips to the store. Personalize it and make it yours!
Healthy and Affordable Dressing Recipes: Dozens of Dressings
Healthy snack ideas: 100-150 calorie snack ideas and 150-200 calorie snack ideas
Learn Ancient Ways of Preparing Grains- With the Grain
Leafy Greens Recipes - Learn more facts about leafy greens here.
WebMD Health Coaching- Chronic Conditions
You and your coach will work to manage your chronic conditions as part of improving overall well-being. For those with asthma, diabetes, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), coronary artery disease (CAD), and heart failure.
Your coach will help you focus on:
- Your overall lifestyle as part of your condition management (diet, exercise, weight management, tobacco cessation, stress resilience)
- Medication adherence and compliance
- Condition monitoring (daily monitoring, ongoing provider visits and tests, annual exam, symptom management)
For more information about the new and no-cost WebMD Health Coaching program, click here.
Health New England Care Management
Health New England offers its plan members care management for chronic asthma and diabetes. As part of the program, you will have a one on one relationship with a care manager, receive education over the phone with supplemental materials mailed to you, and more. Call Health New England at 800-842-4464.
Weight Watchers for Diabetes
Weight Watchers for Diabetes meets the unique needs of those living with Type 2 Diabetes. This membership includes individualized support and guidance from a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE), unlimited meetings and weekly emails.
To Enroll in Weight Watchers:
In order to take advantage of this free offer, you must enroll through the BH-Weight Watchers online portal. Need Help? View the sign-up instructions on page 2.
- If you are a current or past Weight Watchers member and would like to link to your current/old account, please call 1-866-204-2885.
- For quick registration, enroll online by entering employer id: 65888 and passcode: ww65888.
- For additional information about the program, read Weight Watcher's Frequently Asked Questions
Ergonomics is the study of the kind of work you do, the environment you work in, and the tools you use to do your job. Proper ergonomics can help reduce fatigue, discomfort and injury at work.
Practice Healthy Ergonomics to Prevent Injury
Healthy ergonomics is especially important if you:
- Sit or use a computer 4 or more hours a day
- Frequently lift patients or heavy objects
- Frequently "push," "pull," or perform "overhead reach" motions during your day
The annual web-based training on Basic Ergonomics, covers the basic principles of ergonomics and how they apply to work at Baystate Health. In particular, the training addresses healthy ways to work in job roles that require long periods of sitting and frequent lifting, pulling, pushing or reaching overhead.
- Computer Workstation Ergonomics - This guide includes an Evaluation Checklist to help you create a safe and comfortable computer workstation.
- Computer Workstation Ergonomics: Posture, Process & Environment -This guide illustrates simple principles that will help you work safely and comfortably at your computer workstation.
Formal Workstation Evaluations:
To request a formal workstation evaluation, your manager should contact the Injury Prevention Coordinator in the Safety and Environmental Affairs department at 413-794-5174. The cost of this workstation evaluation is charged to your department cost center, unless you have an approved Worker's Compensation claim.
If you believe you have sustained a workplace injury:
1. You or your manager must complete the "Worker's Compensation Employee Incident" request type on the Accident Report form, found on the eWorkplace>Departments>Employee Health Service.
2. Call Employee Health Services at 413-794-3254 to schedule an appointment.
Learn techniques that can immediately improve your quality and quantity of sleep and restore your energy and vitality!
The Power of Sleep Self-Guided Booklet
Poor sleep takes a toll on your mood, energy level and ability to make good decisions. The Power of Sleep self-guided booklet can help you identify your level of sleepiness and learn techniques that can immediately improve the quantity and quality of your sleep.
On-Demand Videos and Webinars
Baystate Healthy Resources Can Make it Easier to Quit:
As the experts in the field of tobacco cessation for more than 25 years, QuitNet offers 24x7 support to help you quit for good! QuitNet.com is the largest online global community of quitters with over 1,000,000 members and a proven sustainable social network to promote tobacco cessation. The online experience also includes tools and trackers, access to trained online counselors and quit medications (patch, gum, lozenge).
In addition, QuitNet offers you access to an even more personalized experience by providing plus access to highly trained, accredited tobacco treatment specialists/coaches who will work with you over the phone, at strategic intervals during the quit process to help you quit for good.
Baystate Health employees* can register with QuitNet online. After you view a description of the services, click ‘Join now’ and proceed through the registration process.
*QuitNet is available to all benefits-eligible employees. If you meet the requirements to receive health benefits from Baystate, then you are eligible to participate in QuitNet---regardless of whether or not you are enrolled in the BH-HNE medical plan.
Start to Stop®
In addition to QuitNet, employees have access to another smoking cessation program, Start to Stop.® The Start to Stop® program is offered through MinuteClinic®, the walk-in clinic inside select CVS/pharmacy® stores. It is available to all Health New England plan members, including all covered family members, and provides counseling, education, and nicotine replacement therapy.