Patient Transfer Service
Baystate Medical Center's Patient Transfer Service was developed to better serve the needs of patients within our region, to improve access, and to facilitate patient transfers and direct admissions from area hospitals and community physicians. The Patient Transfer Service will not replace existing Emergency Department to Emergency Department transfers. As part of the Patient Transfer Service:
- Experienced Patient Placement Managers (RNs) will manage your patient transfers and direct admission calls, and coordinate care between referring facility and the accepting BMC physician.
- Toll free number 1-877-790-2345 is available for direct admission and transfer requests.
How Patient Transfer Works
When a transfer call or direct admission request is received, the Patient Placement Manager will page the appropriate physician identified to accept the transfer. Within fifteen minutes, the Patient Placement Manager will coordinate a three-way conference call between the requesting MD and accepting MD. Once the physician has accepted the transfer, the Patient Placement Manager will verify the level of care, locate the appropriate bed, facilitate coordination of patient transportation, initiate follow up communication with the referring organization or physician, and facilitate patient transfer to BMC when the bed is available.
We look forward to working with you, and to receiving your feedback as we move forward with the Patient Transfer Service. Please don't hesitate to contact Alicia Meacham, Patient Placement Officer at 413-794-1709 with questions about this service.
Patient Placement Manager
- Receives calls
- Collects patient information
- Facilitates handoff between MDs via conference line
- Conducts bed search
- Communicates with Admitting
- Provides clinical information for triage
- Hand-off to accepting MD
- Communicates with referring MD within 15 minutes
- Evaluates and accepts transfer
- Collects patient information and confirms financial coverage pre-arrival
- Provides follow up communication to referring facility and/or ambulance service