Summer Scholars Program
Rising junior or senior
This opportunity offers you the possibility to engage in a variety of hands-on activities such as:
- Participation in a mentored research project
- Clinical and non-clinical observations
- Project-based research methodology instruction
Clinical and non-clinical shadowing opportunities may be available across a variety of departments. You are paired with a healthcare professional and may get a chance to observe morning report on an inpatient unit, an outpatient clinic, a busy emergency room, diagnostic test, or even a surgery.
Opportunities to participate in the simulation center may also be available.
The mentored project will pair you with an employee or partner organization engaged in their own research or quality improvement project. You may assist in a range of study activities such as, protocol development, building a database, data entry, or data analysis.
- Entering your junior or senior year in an undergraduate program for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Articulated interest in health care, public health or medical research as a career option (see application)
- Resident of Hampden or Hampshire County
- Graduate of a public school supporting residents of Springfield, Massachusetts (e.g., district school, charter, school choice)
- Previous participant in the Baystate Summer Academy
- Previous connection to and/or participation in Baystate Health-sponsored activities or programs
Note: While academic record is considered in the review process, it is not a primary criterion.
The Baystate Summer Scholars program aims to introduce you to a career in health care by providing you with:
- Exposure to research design and conduct associated with medicine, public health, or population-based health care
- Practical experience in one or more phases of research or quality improvement. Completion of a designed project that stands alone or is a subset of a larger research initiative.
- Clinical observations across a variety of disciplines and specialties
- An environment where you can interact with other students to address research questions, and that promotes independent, self-directed learning
2021 Program Dates and Time Commitment
If Summer Scholars is offered in 2021, program dates will be posted here.
Paid or Unpaid Internship
This year we are offering both paid and unpaid internships.
- Paid internships will be determined on a need basis and require submission of a FAFSA summary. Paid interns will be hired as per diem employees and eligible to earn up to a maximum of $4,200 over the 10-week period.
- Unpaid interns will be onboarded as clinical students.
Housing and Parking
- Baystate Medical Center does not offer housing.
- Parking is available at no charge.
If Summer Scholars is offered in 2021, applications will be available in late January or early February.
Please contact Peter Blain, Program Coordinator, with any questions: