Will Be Offered Summer 2022
For rising college freshmen, sophomores, and juniors
9 week evening course beginning June 7, 2022
Baystate Summer Academy (BSA) is designed to provide you with a basic understanding of public health and medical research practices. BSA works with various researchers and practitioners at Baystate Health to provide students with skills in research methods.
Clinical and non-clinical shadowing opportunities may be available across a variety of departments pending COVID restrictions (it is not guaranteed). Opportunities to participate in the simulation center may also be available.
Participation in this program is a preferred eligibility requirement for the Baystate Summer Scholars Program.
- Entering your freshman, sophomore or junior year in a four-year undergraduate program for the 2022-2023 academic year
- Articulated interest in health care, public health, or research as a career option (see application below)
- Resident of Franklin, Hampshire, or Hampden counties
- Graduate of a public school supporting residents of Springfield, Massachusetts (e.g., district school, charter, school choice)
- Previous connection to and/or participation in Baystate Health-sponsored activities or programs
Baystate Summer Academy aims to begin the process of connecting you to the medical center through the practice of research by providing:
- Fundamentals of research design and conduct
- Environment where you can interact with other students to address research questions, and that promotes independent, self-directed learning
- Limited observation experiences in a variety of disciplines and specialties (optional activity: pending restrictions in the hospital related to COVID19)
2022 Program Dates and Time Commitment
- 2022 Summer Academy will run from June 7 - August 2, 2022.
- There is no stipend associated with Baystate Summer Academy.
To apply to the 2022 Baystate Summer Academy program:
- Complete the online application (A resume and personal statement will be needed)
- Applications due March 25, 2022
Please contact Peter Blain, Program Manager, with any questions: