Baystate Summer Academy
For rising freshmen, sophomores, and juniors
10 week evening course
Baystate Summer Academy (BSA) is designed to provide you with a core understanding of public health and medical research practices. BSA works with various researchers and practitioners at Baystate Health to provide students with skills in research methods.
Clinical and non-clinical shadowing opportunities may be available across a variety of departments. You are paired with a healthcare professional and may get a chance to observe: morning report on an inpatient unit, an outpatient clinic, a busy emergency room, diagnostic testing, or even a surgery. Opportunities to participate in the simulation center may also be available.
Participation in this program is a preferred eligibility requirement for the Baystate Summer Scholars Program.
- Entering your freshman, sophomore or junior year in a four-year undergraduate program for the 2020-2021 academic year
- Articulated interest in health care, public health, or research as a career option (see application)
- Resident of Hampden or Hampshire County
- Graduate of a public school supporting residents of Springfield, Massachusetts (e.g., district school, charter, school choice)
- Previous connection to and/or participation in Baystate Health-sponsored activities or programs
Baystate Summer Academy aims to begin the process of connecting you to the medical center through the practice of research by providing:
- Fundamentals of research design and conduct
- Environment where you can interact with other students to address research questions, and that promotes independent, self-directed learning
- Limited observation experiences in a variety of disciplines and specialties (optional activity)
2020 Program Dates and Time Commitment
- Tuesday, June 2 through Tuesday, August 4, 2020
- You must be available on Tuesday evenings from 5:30 – 7:30 PM.
- Participants must be able to begin on the program start date. Starting dates will not be modified.
- Some opportunities will not follow the scheduled course dates and times. These activities are not required, but they are highly encouraged and part of the overall design of the course.
- There is no stipend associated with Baystate Summer Academy.
- Parking is available at no charge.
Please contact Peter Blain, Program Coordinator, with any questions: