Medicine-Pediatrics Residency at UMMS-Baystate
We Are Leaders in the National Med-Peds Community
Our residency program is recognized as one of the top combined medicine-pediatrics programs in the country.
- All of our program directors, past and present, have served as President of the National Med-Peds Program Director's Association (MPPDA).
- Dr. Sam Borden, a winner of ACGME's 2015 Parker J.Palmer Courage to Teach Award, is the only honoree to have won the award as a med-peds program director.
- Our Mason Square Neighborhood Health Center was the first combined med-peds ambulatory training site in the U.S.
Excellent Categorical Programs Form Strong Foundation
- Our medicine-pediatrics residency benefits from the academic and clinical strengths of Baystate's respected internal medicine and pediatrics categorical programs.
- We have a very large program in proportion to our categoricals. Our full-time med-peds trained program director, part-time associate program director, and part-time assistant program director administer a program that includes 22 faculty and 32 residents.
Maximize Your Professional Development
Elsewhere, it's common for fellows to be the educational focus; at Baystate you are.
- Our ambulatory site offers a sophisticated outpatient training experience precepted by ten med-peds trained faculty and several categorical faculty.
- At our "all-ages" clinics for primary and specialty care, you'll do everything: suturing wounds, performing skin biopsies, giving joint injections, HIV testing and counseling, as well as treating chronic conditions such as diabetes and asthma.
- Contribute to our ambitious ambulatory redesign process. Our "Plan, Do, Study, Act" cycle of quality improvement is in its seventh year.
Yes, There is Life Outside the Clinic
And we encourage you to experience it.
Ninety-five percent of our residents say they love the outdoors. They want to ski, bike, camp, and climb. But they also appreciate cultural diversions—theater, concerts, lectures, museums. See what else makes living here so special.
Our residents like to get together, formally and informally, quite a bit. And if you’re new to the area, it won’t be hard to find someone to show you around.
We want to help you succeed in med-peds!
Baystate's Medicine-Pediatrics Residency is ACGME-accredited.
We're happy to answer your questions. Call us at 413-794-3998.