Even Kids Get Arthritis – and Other Autoimmune Conditions
If your child has arthritis or another inflammatory or autoimmune disorder, he or she is not alone. More than 300,000 children in the U.S. are living with pediatric rheumatic diseases.
Pediatric rheumatology specialists at Baystate Children’s Hospital can help. We diagnose and treat conditions that affect joints, muscles, tendons, ligaments, and bones. They often cause inflammation, pain, and swelling. Some conditions can also involve the eyes, skin, and digestive system.
Your child’s care team will include rheumatologists, nurses, and child life specialists. When needed, we’ll add physical and occupational therapists to the team.
Rheumatology Conditions We Treat
We provide state-of-the-art diagnosis and treatment of a range of pediatric rheumatology conditions, including:
- Arthritis – including juvenile chronic arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis
- Low back pain
- Lyme disease
- Patellofemoral pain syndrome or knee pain
- Positive antinuclear antibodies (ANA) blood test that may mean an immune system problem
- Raynaud's disease
- Still's disease
We also treat a number of medical conditions often related to inflammatory and autoimmune diseases, including:
- Unexplained muscle, joint, tendon, or bone pain, weakness, swelling, or stiffness
- Persistent or frequent fevers
- Unusual rashes