Please call your provider’s office for questions about services and appointments as we work to ensure the safety of our patients, providers and community. If you have a fever, cough or shortness of breath, or concerns about COVID-19 exposure, call your primary care office. In a life-threatening emergency, please call 911.
As a parent, you want to protect your children from harm, ease their pain, and comfort their fears. As experts in pediatric anesthesia, we share those goals.
Pediatric anesthesiologists are specially trained to understand and monitor the vital signs of babies, toddlers, adolescents, and teens during elective and emergency surgeries. At Baystate Children’s Hospital, these specialists are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
COMMITTED TO YOUR CHILD’S COMFORT & CARE
We provide anesthesia in our pediatric preoperative rooms, operating rooms, and recovery rooms. One of our pediatric anesthesiologists stays with your child at all times during surgery.
The team caring for your little one before, during, and after surgery includes:
Board-certified pediatric anesthesiologists
- Certified registered nurse anesthetists
- Pediatric operating room and recovery room nurses
- Child life specialists
Our team works with you and your family to ease any worries and address your concerns. We take time to understand your child’s medical history and to explain the surgical procedure. Together, we’ll determine the right anesthesia and after-surgery pain management plan.
Our team also takes a number of additional steps, including:
- Using distraction therapy, medication, or relaxation techniques to relieve your child’s anxiety.
- Giving tours of our facilities, including an operating room, to make the surroundings more familiar and less frightening.
- Encouraging you to remain in the operating room with your child until they fall asleep, lessening the stress for your child.