ME-410 Subinternship in Medicine (Elective)
Director: Raquel Belforti, DO
Location: Baystate Medical Center, 759 Chestnut Street, Springfield, MA 01199
This elective allows the student to perform as a sub-intern and assume responsibility for the care of hospitalized patients with acute medical illness.
The student will...
- perform as a member of the ward team.
- admit new patients during the day shift.
- write-up and present cases of new patients to the teaching attending physician.
- be directly responsible for all diagnostic procedures and management decisions relating to cases.
- be responsible for writing all orders and progress notes.
- perform as a member of the PM coverage team that handles acute medical problems on all hospitalized medical patients as well as tanking new admissions.
- gain considerable experience with diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- participate in daily work rounds.
- present cases four times per week at teaching rounds.
- attend Medical Grand Rounds and daily subspecialty conferences.
- participate with team one day per week in simulation training.
Hours per Week
On call every fourth night and weekend. An optional weekly half day outpatient clinical session can be arranged for interested students.
3 student per Block
Yes, at the discretion of the Director
Available on a first-come, first-served basis
Prerequisite: Successful completion of Medicine Clerkship.
If you would like to apply for this elective, please refer to Application Process.