ME-416 Gastroenterology Elective
Director: David Desilets, MD, PhD
Location: Baystate Medical Center, 759 Chestnut Street, Springfield, MA
This elective is an introduction to the clinical discipline of gastroenterology.
The student will learn how to...
- take a GI-focused history and physical.
- recognize basic inpatient and outpatient gastrointestinal problems.
- identify major diagnostic and therapeutic procedures.
- function as the initial consultant in both the inpatient and outpatient settings.
The student will...
- observe procedures such as diagnostic and therapeutic upper endoscopy and colonoscopy,
- sclerotherapy, and band ligation of esophageal varices, esophageal dilation, diagnostic and therapeutic ercp,
- endoscopic ultrasonography, and liver biopsy.
- participate in weekly gastroenterology case-presentation conferences with include pathology and radiology, and also a monthly journal club.
- prepare an in-depth presentation of a gastroenterology topic to present at the end of the elective.
Hours per Week
1 student per Block
Yes, at the discretion of the Director
Available on a first-come, first-served basis
|Prerequisite: Successful completion of Medicine Clerkship.
If you would like to apply for this elective, please refer to Application Process.