Contraception and Family Planning Elective
Director: David Kattan, MD, MPH
Location: Baystate Medical Center, 759 Chestnut Street, Springfield, MA
The goals of the Contraception and Family Planning elective are:
- to understand the contraceptive options available to women and their partners, especially women with complicated medical problems
- to gain experience counseling patients about their contraceptive options
- to learn the reasons why women face unplanned pregnancy
- to understand the reasons why women may choose to terminate their pregnancies
- to learn the available methods of pregnancy termination
After elective completion, the student will be able to:
- counsel a patient about the available and appropriate contraceptive options
- place an intrauterine device
- counsel a patient about pregnancy termination options
- describe the common complications of surgical pregnancy termination"
Hours per Week
1 student per Block
Yes, at discretion of
Available on a first-come, first-served basis
|Prerequisite: Successful completion of Medicine and Ob-Gyn Clerkships. July - December: Only open to students who are pursuing residency in Ob/Gyn. January - June: Open to any interested student.
If you would like to apply for this elective, please refer to Application Process.