At Baystate Health, our team wants you to recover faster from stroke, experience less pain, and have a shorter hospital stay.
No matter which Baystate Health hospital is closest to your home, you’ll receive the best care possible from our team of stroke specialists. We’ll give you the care you need right away so you have the best possible outcome after a stroke. Under the right conditions, we can actually stop a stroke.
What is a Stroke?
A stroke occurs when part of the brain suddenly has a disruption in its blood supply. Without blood flow, that part of the brain does not receive the necessary oxygen and nutrients. Brain tissue dies as a result. Most strokes happen because a blood clot blocks an artery or a blood vessel breaks in the brain or neck.
Signs of Stroke
When it comes to stroke, minutes matter. Fast evaluation and treatment saves lives and makes rehabilitation more effective. If you think your loved one may be having a stroke, think “FAST:”
- Face: Does the face look uneven? Ask the person to smile so you can check.
- Arm: Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
- Speech: Ask the person to repeat a phrase. Does the person’s speech sound slurred or strange?
- Time: If you notice any of these symptoms, call 911 immediately. Sudden loss of vision, dizziness, or a severe headache may also be signs of a stroke.
Our Stroke Care Team
You’ll experience personalized care from our specialists. Your support team includes:
- Case managers
- Critical care specialists
- Emergency physicians
- Interventional neurosurgeons
- Neurologists and neurosurgeons
- Neuroscience advanced practitioners
- Occupational therapists
- Patient and family educators
- Physical medicine specialists
- Physical therapists
- Social workers
- Speech and language therapists
- Stroke coordinator
Advanced Stroke Treatment
The acute stroke team at Baystate Medical Center provides accurate diagnosis and thorough treatment. We care for 1600+ stroke patients each year, more than any other hospital in western Massachusetts. Our treatment and rehabilitation services include: