Please call your provider’s office for questions about services and appointments as we work to ensure the safety of our patients, providers and community. If you have a fever, cough or shortness of breath, or concerns about COVID-19 exposure, call your primary care office. In a life-threatening emergency, please call 911.
A trauma center is designed to care for adults and children after the most serious injuries, including car crashes, gunshots, and falls. If you or a family member are severely injured, rest assured knowing that the only level 1 trauma center in western Massachusetts is at Baystate Medical Center.
Meet Our Doctors
THE ONLY LEVEL 1 TRAUMA CENTER IN WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS
Baystate Medical Center is an American College of Surgeons verified level 1 trauma center, which means it provides the highest level of surgical care for trauma patients.
As a level 1 trauma center, Baystate:
- Is staffed with a multidisciplinary team of nurses, doctors, and surgeons available every day, 24 hours a day.
- Offers total care for every aspect of a serious injury.
- Features a comprehensive quality assessment program.
- Has state-of-the-art medical equipment and other specialized resources for people who need trauma care.
- Has a helipad equipped with an elevator that opens directly into the trauma center.
- Runs a teaching and research programs to support innovations in trauma care.
- Runs a program for substance abuse screening.
EXPERTS IN TIMELY, COMPREHENSIVE CARE
The nurses, doctors, and surgeons who make up Baystate’s trauma team are specially trained to treat traumatic injuries. Every year, we care for more than 2,000 people.
Our goal is to save lives and, whenever possible, make it possible for people to return to normal life after a serious injury. To do this, trauma staff work quickly to identify the right equipment, procedures, and specialists. When seconds count, you can count on our team.
The Baystate trauma care team includes:
Board-certified trauma surgeons, emergency medicine physicians, rehabilitation specialists
- Physician assistants
- Registered nurses
Other highly trained medical professionals, including respiratory therapists, X-ray technicians, critical care specialists, orthopedic surgeons, heart and vascular specialists.
On top of providing expert care to critically ill and injured patients, we are also dedicated to research, education, and serving our community.