For Your Safety and Ours
We ask all visitors to wear masks. Have COVID-19 or symptoms? Please call first.
See Our Safety Policies
At Baystate Health, our certified nurse-midwives offer the benefit of state-of-the-art hospital care along with a focus on a natural birth experience. They are certified by the American Midwifery Certification Board and licensed to practice and prescribe medications by the state of Massachusetts.
Our certified nurse-midwives care for women before, during, and after pregnancy. In addition to providing routine obstetrical care, they also provide ongoing gynecological care, including:
- Family planning and birth control
- Preconception (before pregnancy) counseling
- Prenatal care and education
- Pap smears and pelvic exams
- Diagnosis and treatment of common gynecological conditions
- Breast exams
- Well-woman/ preventive care
Nurse-midwives collaborate with physicians at both Baystate Medical Center and Baystate Franklin Medical Center to care for women with low-risk pregnancies. Obstetricians are immediately available during pregnancy or in the event a problem arises during labor or delivery.
WHY CHOOSE A NURSE-MIDWIFE?
Nurse-midwives believe in allowing for the most natural birth experience possible. They work closely with new moms to create a calm, supportive, and empowering birthing environment.
During your pregnancy and delivery, nurse-midwives at Baystate:
Help you make more informed decisions about your healthcare
- Prepare you for a safe and satisfying birthing experience
- Offer guidance about health and nutrition, as well as newborn and postnatal care
- Provide care that is physically and emotionally supportive
- Involve family and friends as you wish
- Allow you and your family to include elements of your own cultures and traditions in your pregnancy and delivery
- Encourage you to make decisions about pain medication and labor positions