Fitness Fun at Baystate and At Home
Several times a year we offer online fitness challenges through the WebMD Health portal. We encourage you to join the fun (and earn MyHealth Rewards dollars!).
- December Challenge: Virtual Mount Washington StairWELL Challenge
- May Challenge: Join the Step it up Baystate Challenge! To learn more or to enroll, click here.
- September Challenge: Watch for details coming soon!
- Fitness Tracker - Create solid fitness habits by tracking your activities for a month!
Find Fitness Centers and Activities Near Your Home
- See the current listing of a variety of classes fitness centers in your area.
Re-energize During the Workday
Classes are being taught at various locations. Find out where by visiting our Calendar of Events.
- VIDEO: This guided stretch routine that will re-energize your mind and body.
- VIDEO: Try this 10-minute Resistance Band Exercise Break at your workstation.
- Fitness DVDs Available for Home Use: View the full list or borrow a DVD.
Indoor Walking Routes
Choose your location and walk inside when weather permits!
Join or start a Walking Clubs
Bike Rack Locations
- Baystate Medical Center: Daly Garage, outside Chestnut entrance, Emergency Department ambulance entrance. Also: 3300 Main Street, 3350 Main St, 354 Birnie Ave, 280 Chestnut St, 361 Whitney Ave, Walter Street Parking Garage.
- Baystate Mary Lane Outpatient Center: North entrance, main entrance
- Baystate Franklin Medical Center: Human Resources entrance, main entrance
$150 Fitness & Stress Reduction Program Reimbursement: Employees who are enrolled in a Baystate Health-Health New England medical plan are eligible to receive up to $150 reimbursement for the purchase of a qualifying fitness center membership, fitness classes, or personal training. Download the 2017 form.
All benefits-eligible Baystate Health employees receive 100% coverage on Weight Watchers membership!
Mountain View Farm - CSA Farm Shares!
Purchase a 2017 farm share and receive a variety of fresh, chemical free, affordable produce direct from the farm in Easthampton, MA. Use the Shareholder Agreement form if you wish to enroll and pay by payroll deduction.
Eat for Life
Eat for Life is 10 week mindful eating course using mindfulness as the foundation for learning to create a healthy relationship with food, mind, and body. This non-diet approach to eating advocates self and body acceptance as the first step in making changes. The program also qualifies for the BH-HNE $150 reimbursement. The next class starts April 26. Click here for more information or to register.
Food Tracker: The Food Tracker can help you create an awareness about your personal eating habits and help you make healthier eating a way of life.
Grocery Store Checklist: Use this handy grocery checklist for your trips to the store. Personalize it and make it yours!
Healthy snack ideas: 100-150 calorie snack ideas and 150-200 calorie snack ideas
Classes and Programs
Confidential Counseling: This no-cost counseling service helps you address stress, relationship and other personal issues you and your family may face. Learn more.
Mindfulness: Essentials for Busy Lives: Life is becoming more complex leading to greater stress for many of us. This program touches upon many of the core principles of the full Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction program, but is a shorter, less intensive version that focuses more on issues relating to the work environment. It supports those interested in taking a first step who may or may not have an interest in the more in-depth MBSR training. In this interactive video conference based program, you will learn how to:
- Use mindfulness practices at work and home to reduce stress
- Improve your interpersonal communication and relationships
- Manage change more effectively and develop greater resilience
- Create a healthier work and life balance
- Improve your creativity and problem solving when faced with stressful situations
Participate in this weekly online program from anywhere! The January 2017 program has ended. Future programs will be announced here.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR): This intensive world acclaimed program, created by Dr. Jon Kabat-Zinn, at UMASS Medical School has taught thousands of people how to access and mobilize their inner resources for coping, growing and healing, by exploring the interplay between mind and body—allowing greater ease and peace of mind. To fully benefit from this program, you must be willing to make a strong commitment to attend all classes and to practice daily home assignments for eight weeks.
You will learn how to:
- Respond more effectively to everyday stress and anxiety
- Improve your interpersonal communication and relationships
- Be more fully present to yourself and the people you engage with every day
- Experience a richer more fulfilling life
- Develop a practical routine to sustain mindfulness practices learned in class
Course Dates 2017: March 21-May 16 (BMC) and September 19- November 14 (Whitney Ave). To register for either session, click here. Class cost: $150 and qualifies for the $150 Reimbursement.
Mindfulness Group Practice Sessions: Come and experience Mindfulness for the first time or continue practicing your skills in one of these weekly sessions, available at BMC and Holyoke. These 30-minute sessions are open to all employees and offered at no cost.
Midday Metta: This 30 minute break will help you relieve stress and increase circulation while you clear your mind and relax your body. Perform gentle seated and standing yoga and stretches, meditation and breathing techniques. View our program guide for the current schedule.
Yoga: Classes are being taught at various locations. View our program guide for the current schedule.
Chair Massage: Bring chair massage to your work location! A massage therapist can be scheduled to come to your work site. Call Baystate Healthy; 413-794-4939 to find out how. View our program guide for the current schedule.
Webinars, Videos, and Other Media:
2017 Webinar Schedule
Deep Breathing: In this video, experience a guided 5-minute deep breathing exercise. Turn your speakers on! Written guidelines also available.
Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR): In this video, experience a guided 12-minute PMR exercise where you tense and relax your muscles.
Mindfulness Independent Practices: Access a variety of audio-guided practices for meditation, body scan and yoga.
Stress Management DVDs and CDs: Available on loan from Baystate Health Health Sciences Library.
Chapel Services: Monday-Friday at noon a brief prayer service is held in the Chapel on Wesson 3. The nature of the service varies each day, but the intention is always to pray for needs of the patients, families and hospital staff. It is also an opportunity to meet with a Chaplain.
Walking the Labyrinth: Discover ways this ancient tool can help you find peace of mind and feel more relaxed. The labyrinth is chaplain-guided every Thursday at noon and self-guided for the remainder the afternoon. For a guided walk, meet at the BMC Chapel, Wesson 3. No registration required.
Ergonomics is the study of the kind of work you do, the environment you work in, and the tools you use to do your job. Proper ergonomics can help reduce fatigue, discomfort and injury at work.
Healthy ergonomics is especially important if you:
- Sit or use a computer 4 or more hours a day
- Frequently lift patients or heavy objects
- Frequently "push," "pull," or perform "overhead reach" motions during your day
Prevent Musculoskeletal Injuries:
BH Web Based Training: Basic Ergonomics This training covers the basic principles of ergonomics and how they apply to work at Baystate Health. In particular, the training addresses healthy ways to work in job roles that require long periods of sitting and frequent lifting, pulling, pushing or reaching overhead.
- Computer Workstation Ergonomics - This guide includes an Evaluation Checklist to help you create a safe and comfortable computer workstation.
- Computer Workstation Ergonomics: Posture, Process & Environment - This guide illustrates simple principles that will help you work safely and comfortably at your computer workstation.
Request a Formal Workstation Evaluation:
Formal Workstation Evaluations - To request a formal workstation evaluation, your manager should contact John Murray in the Safety and Environmental Affairs office by email or phone at 413-794-1400. The cost of this workstation evaluation is charged to your department cost center, unless you have an approved Worker's Compensation claim.
If you believe you have sustained a workplace injury:
1. You or your manager must complete the "Workers' Compensation Employee Incident" request type on the Accident Report form, found on the Employee Health Services website.
2. Call Employee Health Services at 413-794-3254 to schedule an appointment.
The Power of Sleep
Learn techniques that can immediately improve your quality and quantity of sleep and restore your energy and vitality!
Poor sleep takes a toll on your mood, energy level and ability to make good decisions. The Power of Sleep self-guided booklet can help you identify your level of sleepiness and learn techniques that can immediately improve the quantity and quality of your sleep.
Get Started Today!
As the experts in the field of tobacco cessation for past 25 years, QuitNet offers 24x7 support to help you quit for good! QuitNet.com is the largest online global community of quitters with over 1,000,000 members and a proven sustainable social network to promote tobacco cessation. The online experience also includes tools and trackers, access to trained online counselors and quit medications (patch, gum, lozenge).
In addition, QuitNet offers you access to an even more personalized experience by providing plus access to highly trained, accredited tobacco treatment specialists/coaches who will work with you over the phone, at strategic intervals during the quit process to help you quit for good.
Baystate Health employees* can register with QuitNet online. After you view a description of the services, click ‘Join now’ and proceed through the registration process.
*QuitNet is available to all benefits-eligible employees. If you meet the requirements to receive health benefits from Baystate, then you are eligible to participate in QuitNet---regardless of whether or not you are enrolled in the BH-HNE medical plan.
Start to Stop®
In addition to QuitNet, employees have access to another smoking cessation program, Start to Stop.® The Start to Stop® program is offered through MinuteClinic®, the walk-in clinic inside select CVS/pharmacy® stores. It is available to all Health New England plan members, including all covered family members, and provides counseling, education, and nicotine replacement therapy.
Health New England Care Management
Health New England offers its plan members care management for chronic asthma and diabetes. As part of the program, you will have a one on one relationship with a care manager, receive education over the phone with supplemental materials mailed to you, and more. Call Health New England at1-800-842-4464.
Weight Watchers for Diabetes
Weight Watchers for Diabetes meets the unique needs of those living with Type 2 Diabetes. This membership includes individualized support and guidance from a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE), unlimited meetings and weekly emails.
To Enroll in Weight Watchers:
In order to take advantage of this free offer, you must enroll through the BH-Weight Watchers online portal (sign-up instructions).
- If you are a current or past Weight Watchers member and would like to link to your current/old account, please call 1-866-204-2885.
- For quick registration, enroll online by entering employer id: 65888 and passcode: ww65888.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information and for office hours, please visit the Employee Health Service website on eWorkplace/Departments/Employee Health Service.
Services by Appointments
The services listed below must be scheduled in advance. Serious medical conditions and injuries should be evaluated at the Emergency Department.
- New Injuries
- Blood Body Substance Exposures (Needlestick/splash)
- Fitness for Duty
- Return to Work
- Walk-in services are available for TB testing & vaccinations during regular hours
- Respirator mask fittings are offered between
Contact Phone Numbers
Springfield(BMC) Office: 413-794-3254
Greenfield (BFMC) Office: 413-773-2183
Ware (BMLH) Office: 413-9672179