Department of Pediatrics, UMMS-Baystate
759 Chestnut Street
Springfield, MA 01199
Charlotte Boney, MD, MS, Department Chair
Welcome from the Chair
As Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at UMMS-Baystate and Pediatrician-in-Chief of Baystate Children’s Hospital, it is my honor and pleasure to welcome you! Baystate Children’s Hospital (BCH) is the only accredited children’s hospital delivering tertiary care to infants, children, and adolescents in western Massachusetts.
Our vision is to be the premier children’s hospital in New England by combining safety, quality, and compassionate patient care with outstanding medical education and innovative clinical and quality improvement research. BCH is a “hospital within a hospital” located within Baystate Medical Center, a large academic medical center with the region’s only level 1 trauma center. BCH is equipped with 107 inpatient beds, of which 55 beds are in the level III neonatal intensive care unit, 7 bed pediatric intensive care unit, 45 bed unit for infants, children and adolescents and the only pediatric-specific emergency department. Our subspecialists have ambulatory practices at Baystate Children’s Specialty Center, a state of the art facility close to the main hospital campus.
The Department of Pediatrics at UMMS-Baystate provides the majority of inpatient and subspecialty care in western Mass. Our department consists of ~70 physicians in 15 subspecialties. Pediatric faculty focus on clinical care and medical education and publish 30-40 articles, book chapters and reviews a year. Faculty in general pediatrics, genetics, neonatology and endocrinology also do clinical research.
- Deliver safe, high quality pediatric care, including inpatient and subspecialty care to children in Western Mass and primary care to underserved families in the greater Springfield area
- Train the next generation of pediatricians through our ACGME-accredited pediatrics and combined medicine-pediatric s residency programs
- Educate medical students in the foundations of pediatrics
- Contribute new knowledge and clinical insights to the field of pediatrics
- Paula Braverman, MD, Division of Adolescent Medicine
- Yvonne Paris, MD, Division of Cardiology
- Shannon Kay, PhD, Division of Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics
- Holley Allen, MD, MSPH, Division of Endocrinology
- Wael Sayej, MD, Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition
- John O'Reilly, MD, Division of General Pediatrics
- Mary-Alice Abbott, MD, PhD, Division of Genetics
- Matthew Richardson, MD, Division of Hematology/Oncology
- Donna Fisher, MD, Division of Infectious Disease
- Robert Rothstein, MD, Division of Neonatology (NICU) (interim)
- Christine McKiernan, MD, Division of Pediatric Critical Care (PICU)
- Weijen Chang, MD, Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine
- Nico Vehse, MD, Division of Pulmonology
4th Year Electives for Medical Students
Medical Student Core Clerkship
View recent Department of Pediatrics publications in the Scholarly Commons database.
Our faculty have primary academic appointments at UMass Medical School-Baystate. View our Pediatrics faculty profiles on the UMass Medical School website.