Baystate Medical Center is a major teaching hospital and the regional campus of UMass Chan Medical School. Baystate is a national leader in healthcare quality and innovative medical education. The third-largest teaching hospital in Massachusetts, Baystate maintains an intimate atmosphere in a state-of-the-art tertiary care referral center.
The Internal Medicine Residency offers three programs: Categorical, Primary Care, and Combined Med-Peds. Our residents are encouraged to think critically and apply evidence-based medicine in a supportive team-based model of care. Our Geriatrics, Community Medicine, Healthcare Quality and Research Tracks offer individualized training options. Graduates interested in subspecialty training receive competitive fellowships or pursue careers in academic medicine, hospital medicine and primary care. Our residents succeed in balancing clinical work, award-winning research, family, friends and outside interests.
We welcome you to visit us and see what makes our program so special!
Meet Our Team
(Photo L-R: Fatima Warraich, Sudeep Aulakh, Riffat Sabir, Nick Karr, Yesenia Greeff, Marie Housey, Katie Jobbins, Laura Slowick, Christine Bryson, Eric Churchill, William Zing, Stephanie Chapin, Raquel Belforti )
Residency Program Director
Riffat Sabir, MD, Phone: 413-794-4143
Associate Program Directors
Raquel Belforti, DO, MEd
Christine Bryson, DO
Kathryn Jobbins, DO
Assistant Program Director
Yesenia Greeff, MD
Marie Housey, Phone: 413-794-4373
By the Numbers
- Residents per class: 18 | Total number of residents: 57
- Male/female ratio: Male 55% : Female 45%
- Graduates entering Fellowship training over past 3 years: 57%
- One of only 21 national residency programs selected by the ACGME to participate in its Educational Innovations Project developed to encourage the redesign internal medicine residency education focusing on training the "Internist of the Future."
- Number of Faculty: 200
- 11 Medicine Subspecialty Fellowship Programs: Cardiology, Electrophysiology, Interventional Cardiology, Critical Care Medicine, Endocrinology & Metabolism, Gastroenterology, Geriatric Medicine, Hematology/Oncology, Infectious Disease, Nephrology, Pulmonary Disease & Critical Care Medicine
- 716-bed Baystate Medical Center is western New England's only:
- Tertiary care referral medical center
- Level 1 Trauma Center
- Neonatal and Pediatric Intensive Care Units
- Medical staff exceeds 1,300 physicians
- 72,000 square foot new E.D.
- Large multidisciplinary simulation lab
- Fully-integrated electronic medical record hospital wide
- Ranked third among Massachusetts hospitals by U.S. News & World Report in 2016
- Achieved magnet hospital designation for nursing excellence in 2016 for the third consecutive time from the American Nurses Credentialing Center
> Complete list of awards and honors
We have attempted to maintain salaries in the 75th percentile nationally, and here in western Massachusetts, we enjoy a lower cost of living than in major urban areas. View our complete list of salaries and benefits.
Curriculum Summary - Block Rotations
PG1 (Learner): Ambulatory, Wards; MICU, CICU, ED, Geriatrics, Tracer, Night Float and Elective
PG2 (Manager): Ambulatory, Wards, CICU, Night Float, ED, Inpatient Oncology, and Electives
PG3:(Teacher): Ambulatory, Wards, MICU, Consult, Admit Resident, and Electives
- Daily Inpatient Morning Report
- Daily Ambulatory Morning Report
- Daily General Medicine & Subspecialty Noon Conferences during Ambulatory
- Weekly Academic Half Day
- Weekly Patient Simulation Training
- Monthly Intern Intake with Chief Residents
- Monthly Board Review
- Resident Retreats; PG1s, PG2s and PG3s