The 1 year ACGME-accredited Surgical Critical Care fellowship at Baystate Medical Center, regional campus of the University of Massachusetts Medical School, has one open position per year. (See application requirements and process.)
An Integrated Surgical Critical Care Educational Experience
- Most of your clinical and educational experience revolves around the 8-bed SICU, 16-bed MICU, and 10-bed PICU.
- Clinical education takes place at the bedside in the form of multidisciplinary daily rounds involving critical care attending staff, surgical house staff, nurses, nutritionists, respiratory therapists, medical students, pharmacists, and infection control staff.
- You will conduct clinical research and submit at least one project for presentation at a national or regional meeting and/or publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
Review a more detailed curriculum.
Fellows Are Actively Involved in the Care of All SICU Patients
With support and supervision from our faculty, you will:
- be responsible for daily rounds and direct supervision of medical students and junior residents.
- interact with the primary service and attending surgical staff and formulate clinical strategies and management decisions.
- act as a liaison between the SCC service and attending surgical staff, consulting services, and families.
Baystate Medical Center's Facilities
Baystate Medical Center, located in Springfield, MA, is a 650-bed tertiary care facility serving a population of approximately 1 million in western Massachusetts, southern Vermont and northern Connecticut.
- As the area's only Level-I Adult/Level-II Pediatric Trauma Center, BMC evaluates approximately 3,000 patients and admits 1,500 patients per year.
- Our Intensive Care Unit was awarded the Beacon Award for Excellence in Critical Care by the AACN for each of the past 5 years.
- We were designated a Thomson Reuters® Top 100 Hospital, Major Teaching Hospital in the US for the third time in 2011.
- Surgical services include a busy emergency general surgery service, surgical oncology, colorectal, pediatric, vascular, thoracic and minimally invasive surgery.
- The Baystate Simulation Center and Goldberg Surgical Skills Laboratory is an American College of Surgeons accredited level I comprehensive education institute.
We Look Forward to Sharing Our Experience,
and Learning From Yours
Delivering critical care requires lifelong learning. Even as your attendings, we are all students in the ICU.