UMass Chan Medical School - Baystate has a 2-year fellowship that includes a 1-year ACGME-accredited Surgical Critical Care fellowship followed by an optional 1-year AAST-accredited Acute Care Surgery fellowship. (See the details in our curriculum.)
You Will Have an Integrated Educational Experience
Surgical Critical Care
- Your clinical and educational experience revolves around the 14-bed SICU, 16-bed MICU, 16 bed CVCU, and 10-bed PICU with options for operative rotations.
- Clinical education takes place at the bedside in the form of multidisciplinary daily rounds involving critical care attending staff, surgical house staff, nurses, nutritionists, respiratory therapists, medical students, pharmacists, and infection control staff.
- Didactic education involves weekly lectures, participation in a dedicated leadership curriculum and participation in weekly trauma & EGS morbidity and mortality conferences.
- You will conduct clinical research and submit at least one project for presentation at a national or regional meeting and/or publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
Acute Care Surgery
- Your clinical and educational experience will involve rotations in our 716-bed hospital and 34-bed operating room. Each rotation is designed to improve clinical decision making and operative skills necessary for a career as an Acute Care Surgeon.
- Clinical education takes place at the bedside in the form of multidisciplinary daily rounds involving surgical attending staff, emergency medicine physicians, nurses, medical students, and pharmacists.
- Didactic education involves weekly lectures, continued participation in a dedicated leadership curriculum and participation in weekly trauma & EGS morbidity and mortality conferences.
- Ongoing research is required in the form of an additional project for presentation at a national or regional meeting and/or publication in a peer-reviewed journal.
- Participation in quality improvement projects or one of our grant-funded projects is encouraged.
Be Actively Involved in the Care of Our Patients
With support and supervision from our faculty, you will:
- Interact with the primary service and attending surgical staff and formulate clinical strategies and management decisions.
- Act as a liaison between the SCC/ACS services and attending surgical staff, consulting services, and families.
- Be responsible for daily rounds and direct supervision of medical students and junior residents.
Baystate Medical Center's Facilities
Baystate Medical Center, located in Springfield, MA, is a 716-bed tertiary care facility serving a population of approximately 1 million in western Massachusetts, southern Vermont and northern Connecticut.
- As the area's only Level-I Adult/Level-II Pediatric Trauma Center, BMC evaluates approximately 3,000 patients and admits ~2,000 patients per year.
- Our Intensive Care Unit was awarded the Beacon Award for Excellence in Critical Care by the AACN for each of the past 5 years.
- We were designated a Thomson Reuters® Top 100 Hospital, Major Teaching Hospital in the US for the third time in 2011.
- Surgical services include a busy emergency general surgery service, surgical oncology, colorectal, pediatric, vascular, thoracic and minimally invasive surgery.
- The Baystate Simulation Center and Goldberg Surgical Skills Laboratory is an American College of Surgeons accredited level I comprehensive education institute.
Delivering Critical Care Requires Lifelong Learning
Even as your attendings, we are all students in the ICU.
We look forward to sharing our experience, and learning from yours.