Program at a Glance
Thank you for your interest in our ACGME accredited 1 year Interventional Cardiology Fellowship Program at Baystate Medical Center, regional campus of the University of Massachusetts Medical School. We currently offer 3 positions per year; our program provides training in the pre- and post-procedural management of interventional cardiology and peripheral vascular patients, in the performance of interventional cardiology and peripheral vascular procedures, and in education and research devoted to interventional cardiology and peripheral vascular disease. Fellows graduating from our program will be capable of operating independently in the interventional arena. They will be capable of working in private practice or in an academic setting, including ultimately being a catheterization laboratory director.
There are 4 catheterization laboratories. The projected yearly volume is approximately 1400 coronary and 400 peripheral interventions. We perform PCI on approximately 250 STEMI’s per year, the largest volume in Massachusetts. The Fellow is responsible for the pre and post procedure workup, the interventional procedure, and the procedural report. Fellows are on call every third weekend. We have a full time nurse practitioner who assists in the catheterization laboratory, takes call biweekly, and helps with many of the discharges.
All applicants entering interventional cardiology must have completed a cardiovascular disease program accredited by the ACGME.
Fellowship Director: Ashequl Islam, MD, FACC
Program Administrator: IM Fellowships email: IMFellowships@baystatehealth.org phone: 413.794.1155
Program & Department Metrics
- Length of fellowship: 1 year
- Number of fellows per year: 3
- Number of faculty: 11
- Number of hospital beds: 716
- Number of residency programs: 10
- Number of fellowship programs: 22
Fellow Benefits & Facilities
- We have attempted to maintain salaries in the 75th percentile nationally, and here in western Massachusetts, we enjoy a lower cost of living than in major urban areas. View our complete list of salaries and benefits.
- 4 weeks vacation/year, meal subsidy, free parking
- Disability/Malpractice/Health/Life Insurance
- Comprehensive electronic medical record
- Well-supplied, on-campus hospital library with 8 librarians and robust e-medicine resources (Up-to-Date, Ovid, etc)
We have coronary interventional and peripheral interventional conferences which meet weekly. There are clinical research opportunities and our fellows are encouraged to participate.