For Your Safety and Ours
We ask all visitors to wear masks. Have COVID-19 or symptoms? Please call first.
See Our Safety Policies
Physical Medicine (Physiatry)
Physiatrists (fi-zahy-uh-trists) are medical doctors who have completed additional training in physical medicine and rehabilitation. They diagnose and treat injuries, diseases, and conditions of your nervous and musculoskeletal systems and focus on restoring function.
Our physiatrists at Baystate will work with you to:
- Diagnose and identify the source of your pain, weakness, or other impairment
- Create a comprehensive treatment plan to get you back to your normal activities
- Help to restore as much of your function as possible
Neurological disorders (problems of the brain, spinal cord, nerves, or neuromuscular system) and orthopedic conditions or injuries (problems of the bones, muscles, tendons, joints, and ligaments) can cause varying problems from impaired cognition and sensation to pain and difficulty moving.
Your doctor may prescribe rehabilitation services as part of your treatment plan. These services are provided by our skilled therapists at Baystate Rehabilitation Care, as well as specially trained doctors called physiatrists.
Conditions Our Physiatrists Treat
Physiatrists are experts in conditions that affect the way you move. Some of the many conditions our physiatrists treat include:
The physiatrists at Baystate are here to guide you through the challenges and difficulties you face with disorders of the nervous and musculoskeletal systems.
Services We Offer
Our physiatrists partner with rehabilitation therapists and other specialist to provide a full range of treatment options, including:
- Botulinum toxin/Botox
- Bracing prescriptions
- Functional analysis for athletes returning to play
- Prosthetics prescription evaluation
- Therapeutic injections, including ultrasound guided injections for joint pain and arthritis, and fluoroscopy guided injections for spine, muscle and joint painful conditions