Comprehensive Pulmonary Support For You
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program provides a comprehensive approach to managing chronic lung diseases such as emphysema, chronic bronchitis, asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, interstitial lung disease, and bronchiectasis.
Our pulmonary rehabilitation program is the only stand-alone, multidisciplinary pulmonary rehabilitation program in western Massachusetts and is one of only eight pulmonary programs in Massachusetts certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation. Our team includes registered nurses, registered respiratory therapists, and a certified exercise physiologist.
Pulmonary Function Laboratory
The pulmonary function laboratory at Baystate Medical Center uses pulmonary function tests to help measure how well your lungs are working. The results from these tests help your care team diagnose and treat your lung disease. We perform the following tests in our lab:
- functional residual capacity
- diffusing capacity
- resistance to airflow
- body box
- arterial blood gases
- exercise studies with maximum oxygen consumption and CO2 production
Conditions We Treat
- Chronic bronchitis
- Cystic fibrosis
- Lung diseases (Insterstitial and Restrictive)
- Pre/Post Lung Transplant/Thoracic Surgery
Our pulmonary rehabilitation clinicians provide a wide array of both outpatient and inpatient pulmonary services. Our inpatient services include pulmonary disease management, smoking cessation, airway clearance, and management and referrals for outpatient follow up.
- Cystic Fibrosis Center At Baystate Pediatric Pulmonology, located in the Baystate Children's Specialty Center at 50 Wason Avenue in Springfield, a pulmonary nurse will teach you and your child self-care skills, airway clearance techniques, help arrange home respiratory equipment, and provide support to you and your family members.
- Pulmonary function testing - Spirometry, ABGs, lung volume, etc. These tests are performed at the Pulmonary Function Lab.
- Pulmonary rehabilitation - We offer three phases of pulmonary rehabilitation including an inpatient phase (Phase 1), an eight week program of education and exercise that includes disease management, bronchial hygiene, stress management and nutrition counseling (Phase 2) and an ongoing, self-pay, program of medically supervised exercise (Phase 3).
- Pulmonary Disease Management Sessions - We provide patients/families with education regarding pulmonary conditions, effective use of pulmonary medication, breathing retraining, and preventative care.
- Asthma Education - We offer individualized instruction to help adults and children take control of their asthma through disease education, effective use of pulmonary medication, awareness of environmental controls, and the development of an asthma management plan.
- Airway Clearance - We provide individualized instruction regarding a variety of airway clearance techniques to reduce lung infections and improve lung function.
- Six-minute walk test (6MWT) - We use this test to measure the response to therapy in patients with severe cardiopulmonary disease. We compare your pre-treatment 6MWT results with your post-treatment value to measure progress. We also use this test as a one-time measure of the functional status of patients with COPD.
- Customized Exercise Programs - We provide pre-surgical exercise programs for thoracic surgery patients before their lung transplants or thoracic surgery. We also evaluate and develop home exercise programs to help manage your chronic lung disease.
- Evaluation for home oxygen - We provide assessments for the need of supplemental oxygen in the home setting.