Call 413-794-KIDS to make an appointment
The comprehensive pediatric weight management program at Baystate Children’s Hospital diagnoses and treats obesity in children and adolescents.
To be treated in our program, patients must:
- Be between 2-22 years old
- Have a diagnosis of obesity, which is defined as a BMI (body mass index) greater or equal to the 95th percentile for their age and gender
Our specialized team includes:
- Behavioral health specialists
- Bariatric surgeons
We evaluate patients for conditions that often occur along with obesity including diabetes, sleep apnea, fatty liver disease, hypertension and mental health disorders. We also provide treatment and medical guidance for prediabetes (a higher than normal blood sugar level).
Your treatment plan includes:
- Dietary changes
- Medical management of your related conditions
- Weight loss medication if appropriate
Depending on your needs, your doctor might recommend participation in our adolescent bariatic surgery program.
The adolescent bariatric surgery program offers the laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy procedure to those 15-22 years of age who meet specific program requirements.
Six months before surgery, patients are required to meet with a dietitian, behavioral health specialist, weight management doctor, and surgeon, as well as attend weight loss support groups and complete labs and other diagnostic tests.