Certified Cardiac Rehabilitation That’s Close to Home
Call 413-794-CARE to schedule your cardiac rehab appointment.
Cardiac rehabilitation, also known as cardiac rehab, is a program to improve your heart health after you’ve had a cardiovascular event (any condition that can cause damage to your heart muscle or blood vessels) or treatment for such an event. These include:
- Angioplasty (a minimally invasive procedure to widen an artery to improve blood flow) or placement of a stent (a tiny tube that goes into a blood vessel to hold it open and improve blood flow)
- Heart attack
- Heart failure
- Heart surgery, including MitraClip surgery (a minimally invasive procedure to help your heart’s mitral valve close more effectively) and transcatheter aortic valve replacement (TAVR) surgery
- Heart transplant
- Peripheral artery disease, which we treat with our vascular rehab program
- Stable angina (chest pain or discomfort that usually occurs with activity or stress)
Baystate Health has had a strong cardiac rehab program in place since 1978. We were one of the first healthcare systems to offer cardiac rehab to our patients. Today, our Cardiovascular Rehabilitation Program is one of the largest in New England. We are certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation (AACVPR), which recognizes programs that meet the highest standards for cardiac rehab care.
In addition, our program’s medical director, Dr. Quinn Pack, is one of the nation’s leading experts in cardiac health. Dr. Pack is on the AACVPR’s Board of Directors and is heavily involved in research that focuses on best practices in cardiac rehab.
Take charge of what you can today. Call 413-794-CARE to schedule your cardiac rehab appointment.
What to Expect When You Start Cardiac Rehab
You must have a prescription or an order from a referring provider to start cardiac rehab. We work with patients with heart or vascular conditions who come from within the Baystate Health system and those who come from outside our system.
Our outpatient cardiac rehab is the second phase of your recovery process. (See the frequently asked questions below for more on the phases of cardiac rehab care.) You’ll come in for a one-on-one orientation with one of our cardiac rehab team members after your discharge from the hospital. We’ll go over your welcome handout (pdf) and other important information together. From there, we’ll work with you to establish your goals for rehab and the resources available to you during your time in the program. These include:
- A personalized prescription for your cardiac rehab exercise program two to three times per week
- Appointments with our registered dietitian to improve your nutrition and dietary habits (download our Heart Healthy Nutrition Guide)
- Instruction from our team members on exercise to improve any potential risk factors for heart and vascular disease, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, obesity, and a sedentary lifestyle
- Mindfulness training with specially trained nurses to help reduce your stress and improve coping skills
- One-on-one meetings with our tobacco treatment experts to reduce your tobacco use and dependence on nicotine if needed
- Regular monitoring of your blood pressure, electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG), and exercise performance
At every phase, our doctors will monitor and oversee your cardiac rehab to ensure you’re getting the best possible care. We’ll update your referring provider of your progress and any potential concerns in case your treatment plan requires adjustment.
Our Cardiac Rehab Locations
We provide cardiac rehab in three locations: Springfield, Greenfield, and Westfield. To make an appointment, call us at 413-794-CARE.
Cardiac Rehab in Springfield
Our spacious facility in Springfield is located off I-91 in the Tolosky Center at 3300 Main Street. This is one of the most comprehensive cardiac rehab programs in New England. At this location, we offer a specialized exercise program for peripheral artery disease (PAD) that most Medicare insurance plans cover. Call 413-794-7024 to learn more.
Cardiac Rehab in Greenfield
Our Greenfield cardiac rehab program is located at Baystate Franklin Medical Center at 164 High Street. We continue to expand this program to serve the needs of our patients throughout the Pioneer Valley. Call 413-773-0211 to learn more.
Cardiac Rehab in Westfield
Our Westfield cardiac rehab program is located at Baystate Noble Hospital at 115 West Silver Street. This program is growing to meet the needs of our patients in the area. Call 413-571-0000 to learn more.
Frequently Asked Questions About Cardiac Rehab
It’s natural to have questions about cardiac rehab and why you should take advantage of this treatment option as part of your recovery process. Below, we’ve gathered some of the questions we hear most often from patients in our cardiac rehab program, as well as the answers you need to make the best choices for your care.