Recent Faculty Events
Research Faculty Development Program (RFDP) Alumni Dinner - June 27, 2019
Launched in 2018, the RFDP is a collaborative initiative between UMMS-Baystate’s Offices of Faculty Affairs and Research to train our faculty in effective research design and grant-writing. RFDP Scholars are selected based on nomination, written application, and in-person interviews. RFDP Alumni Dinners are recurring events for past scholars to reconnect, discuss their research, and obtain feedback on current projects. The June 27th dinner included a Career Development presentation by Elizabeth Schoenfeld, MD, MS, as well as a Research in Progress presentation by Ruben Vaidya, MD, FAAP. To learn more about the RFDP, click here.
Physician Leadership Academy graduates honored - June 7, 2019
Congratulations to the 2019 PLA Graduates! On June 7, Department Chairs, Service Line Leaders, and members of the President’s Cabinet gathered to celebrate this professional development milestone. Offered every other year by the Office of Faculty Affairs, the PLA consists of one full-day session every other week for 5 months and includes lectures, workshops, and small group discussions on topics such as Challenging Conversations, Process Improvement, and Healthcare Finance. With coaching from senior organizational leaders, participants also complete individual projects that allow them to experience, navigate, and learn how to implement initiatives in a large, diversified health system. This year’s Coaches were Betty LaRue, RN, MN, Chief Operating Officer of Baystate Medical Practices; Deb Provost, BSN, MBA, Chief Administrative Officer and Chief Nursing Officer of Baystate Franklin Medical Center, and Doug Salvador, MD, MPH, Chief Quality Officer of Baystate Health.
This year’s graduating class included:
- David Deaton, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Tala Elia, MD, Associate Professor of Emergency Medicine
- Rose B. Ganim, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Meghan Hickey, MD, Assistant Professor of Neurology
- John Hunt, MD, Assistant Professor of Pathology
- Keisha Jones, MD, MSc, Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- J. Michael Klatte, MD, Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
- Ziad Kutayli, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Tashanna Myers, MD, Associate Professor of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Armando Paez, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Pranay M. Parikh, MD, Assistant Professor of Surgery
- Stephanie D. Silverman, MD, Assistant Professor of Medicine
- Nathan P. Somers, MD
- Shadi Zaghloul, MD, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry
Visiting Professor Carolyn C. Meltzer - March 6, 2019
Carolyn C. Meltzer, MD, FACR, William P. Timmie Professor and Chair of Radiology & Imaging Sciences, Executive Associate Dean, Faculty Academic Advancement, Leadership & Inclusion, and Associate Dean for Research at Emory University School of Medicine spoke to the Physician Leadership Team (PLT) as part of the Office of Faculty Affairs' inaugural Visiting Professorship. Her talk was entitled "Leadership in Times of Change: Investing in a Talent Workforce". Dr. Meltzer is a nationally recognized expert in leadership development and mentorship.
Above, from left to right: Amy S. Gottlieb, MD, FACP, Chief Faculty Development Officer, Baystate Health, Associate Dean for Faculty Affairs, UMMS-Baystate; Richard Hicks, MD, FACR, Chair of the Department of Radiology; and visiting professor Carolyn C. Meltzer, MD, FACR.