UMass Chan Medical School - Baystate offers a scholarship opportunity to visiting medical students who are underrepresented in medicine (URiM) to assist with the financial burden of visiting electives.
Visiting Student URIM Scholarship Description
The Scholarship provides:
- Full reimbursement of airfare
- $500.00 food allowance
- Waived institutional fees
- Mentorship from UMass Chan - Baystate faculty—including nationally recognized experts in medical student advising—that focuses on application, clinical, and interview performance.
To be eligible for the Scholarship you must:
- Be a 4th year medical student enrolled in an LCME- or AACOM-accredited medical school
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Be in good academic standing
- Come from a background that is underrepresented in medicine as defined by the AAMC URiM criteria: "Underrepresented in medicine means those racial and ethnic populations that are underrepresented in the medical profession relative to their numbers in the general population."
- Be enrolled in any UMass Chan - Baystate elective
- Fully comply with the requirements listed in the "How to Apply" section
Your application materials must be received at least two months prior to the start date of the elective.
How to Apply
- Apply for an away rotation at UMass Chan - Baystate through the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities Application Service (VSLO).
- Write an Essay answering this question (500 words or less):
How will participating in the UMass Chan – Baystate URiM Scholarship Program advance your short- and long-term career aspirations as a physician?
- Email your Essay, your Curriculum Vitae, and a Letter of Interest to UndergraduateMedicalEducationUME@baystatehealth.org.
Your emailed application materials must be received at least two months prior to the start date of the elective.