759 Chestnut Street
Springfield, MA 01199
Charlotte Boney, MD, MS, Department Chair
Welcome from the Chair
As Chair of the Department of Pediatrics at UMass Chan Medical School-Baystate and Pediatrician-in-Chief of Baystate Children’s Hospital, it is my honor and pleasure to welcome you! Baystate Children’s Hospital (BCH) is the only accredited children’s hospital delivering tertiary care to infants, children, and adolescents in western Massachusetts.
Our vision is to create a better world for children in Western Mass by reducing health care disparities, treating illness and restoring/maintaining wellness. BCH is a “hospital within a hospital” located within Baystate Medical Center, a large academic medical center with the region’s only level 1 trauma center. BCH is equipped with 107 inpatient beds, of which 55 beds are in the level III neonatal intensive care unit, 7 bed pediatric intensive care unit, 45 bed unit for children and adolescents and the only pediatric-specific emergency department. Our subspecialists have ambulatory practices at Baystate Children’s Specialty Center, a state of the art facility close to the main hospital campus.
The Department of Pediatrics at UMass Chan-Baystate provides the majority of inpatient and subspecialty care in western Mass. Our department consists of ~70 physicians in 15 subspecialties. Pediatric faculty focus on clinical care and medical education and publish 30-40 articles, book chapters and reviews a year. Faculty in general pediatrics, genetics, and neonatology also do clinical research.
- Deliver safe, high quality pediatric care, including inpatient and subspecialty care to children in Western Mass and primary care to underserved families in the greater Springfield area
- Train the next generation of pediatricians through our ACGME-accredited pediatrics and combined medicine-pediatric s residency programs
- Educate medical students in the foundations of pediatrics
- Contribute new knowledge and clinical insights to the field of pediatrics
- Division of Adolescent Medicine: Paula Braverman, MD,
- Division of Cardiology: Eva Nunlist, DO
- Division of Developmental Behavioral Pediatrics: Shannon Kay, MA, PhD
- Division of Gastroenterology and Nutrition: Wael Sayej, MD, MBA
- Division of Genetics: Mary-Alice Abbott, MD, PhD
- Division of Hematology/Oncology: Matthew Richardson, MD
- Division of Infectious Disease: M. Cecilia Di Pentima, MD
- Division of Neonatology (NICU): Joanna Beachy, MD, PhD
- Division of Pediatric Critical Care (PICU): Christine McKiernan, MD
- Division of Pediatric Hospital Medicine: Weijen Chang, MD
- Division of Pulmonology: Nico Vehse, MD
4th Year Electives for Medical Students
- Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Acting Internship
- Pediatric Acting Internship
- Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
- Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Acting Internship
- Pediatric Subspecialties
- Pediatric Surgery Acting Internship
Medical Student Core Clerkship
View recent Department of Pediatrics publications in the Scholarly Commons database.