Simulation Training Facilities and Resources
Our 4,000 square foot training facility houses the Baystate Simulation Center and the Goldberg Surgical Skills Laboratory.
It includes a full audiovisual capture learning management system that allows students and instructors to view videos remotely in a web-based format for immediate debriefing and ongoing feedback.
The majority of our simulation training takes place at this facility which houses our comprehensive inventory of technologies and equipment.
Baystate Simulation Center
The Baystate Simulation Center is a state-of-the-art facility accredited by the American College of Surgeons as a Level I Comprehensive Education Institute.
The Center has three simulation bays that are configured to look and feel like patient care areas that will be experienced by the learner in the actual clinical environment. Standard clinical equipment, monitors, and supplies are available to the learner in all simulation bays. Each simulation bay is separated from the control room by a one-way mirror.
The Center is comprised of:
- 2 patient care simulation rooms with one-way mirror and video monitoring
- Simulated operating room, critical care unit or emergency bay
- Adult and pediatric patient simulators
- Centralized control room
- Classrooms with video capability
- Diagnostic ultrasound, code carts, defibrillators, anesthesia machines
- Audiovisual capture learning management system
Goldberg Surgical Skills Laboratory
The Goldberg Surgical Skills Lab is a 20-person capacity technical skills laboratory.
The Lab includes:
- Simulated models of human body tissues
- Bench-top task training devices
- Computer-assisted procedural task training tools
- Basic and advanced patient care treatment devices
- Physical exam and procedural training bench top part task trainers
- Basic and advanced open technical skills trainers
- Basic and advanced minimally invasive surgical skills and virtual reality trainers
The Goldberg Surgical Skills Lab is also a recognized SAGES Certification Center for Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery (FLS) and Fundamentals of Endoscopic Surgery (FES).
Simulation Center resources also include information technology resources, inanimate and animate training resources and personnel, content expert and education professional consultation resources, Institutional Review Board consultants and Baystate Health Sciences library access.
We also have web-based scheduling, audiovisual review and assessment resources, and libraries of simulation scenarios and skills training materials.
Many of our simulation education programs use curricula developed by our simulation education experts and simulation champions.
We also use or adapt resources from recognized experts, such as:
- American College of Surgeons Division of Education: ACS/APDS Phase I, II, and III technical skills and patient care team-based modules
- ACS/APDS: Surgical Skills Curriculum for Residents
- INACSL: Standards of Best Practice: Simulation
- SAGES: Fundamentals of Laparoscopic Surgery
- SAGES: Fundamentals of Endoscopic Surgery
- AAMC: MedEd Portal AAMC Collections
- AHRQ: TeamSTEPPS
Baystate's simulation training facilities are located in the Chestnut Conference Center on Baystate Health's main campus at 759 Chestnut Street in Springfield.