Medicine Pediatrics Residency Program At-A-Glance
Baystate Medical Center, regional campus of the University of Massachusetts Medical School, is a leader in the national med-peds community—all of our medicine-pediatrics residency program directors have served in the national executive committee with the Med-Peds Program Director's Association.
Our residency program has a reputation for training not only exceptional med-peds physicians, but balanced and compassionate individuals. Our residents are frequently described by applicants as the happiest residents they have met at any program. We take tremendous pride in the education we offer to our residents, and we invite you to discover if Baystate would be the best fit with your career goals.
Meet Our Team
Sharon Wretzel, MD
Residency Program Director
Samuel H. Borden, MD
Associate Program Director
Maura Muñoz, MD
Associate Program Director
By the Numbers
- 8 Med-Peds residents per class | 32 total
- 28 Med-Peds trained faculty
- In the past five years, approximately one-third of our graduates pursued fellowship, one-third primary care and one-third hospital medicine.
- Baystate Medical Center Hospital Beds: 716
- Baystate Children's Hospital Beds: 110
- Residency Programs: 10
- Fellowship Programs: 25
- Rotation q 3 months between Programs for all four years
- Monthly Med-Peds conferences in addition to all the categorical conferences
- Brief breakdown by year:
PG1: 2.5 Ambulatory months, 2 Pedi wards, 1.5 Med wards, Nursery, CCU, NICU, ER, Geri, Elect.
PG2: 3 Ambulatory months, 1 Pedi ward, 2 Med wards, ER, ICU, PICU, NICU, 1 Elect., Neurology
PG3: 1 Ambulatory month, 1 Pedi ward, 2 Med wards, Nursery, CCU, ER, NICU, 4 Elect.
PG4: 2 Ambulatory months, 2 Pedi wards, 1 Med ward, ICU, Consult, 5 Elect.
Benefits & Facilities
- We have attempted to maintain salaries in the 75th percentile nationally, and here in western Massachusetts, we enjoy a lower cost of living than in major urban areas. View our complete list of salaries and benefits.
- 4 weeks vacation/year, meal subsidy, free parking
- Disability/Malpractice/Health/Life Insurance
- Lounge, library
- Electronic Medical Record (Cerner Millennium)
- Robust e-medicine resources (Up-to-Date, Ovid, Cochrane, UMass Medical Library, etc.)
- Robust e-medicine resources (Up-to-Date, Ovid, Cochrane, etc.)
- Dragon Naturally Speaking speech recognition software throughout hospital and med-peds ambulatory clinic
- Professional educational funds and internal grants provided to residents to subsidize the cost of global health experiences
- Professional education funds to subsidize the costs of regional and national poster presentations.