The Greenfield Family Medicine Residency program at UMass Chan Medical School-Baystate strives to be an exemplary program training our residents to be the family physicians their communities need and deserve.
The Greenfield Family Medicine Residency trains family physicians who are innovative in their practice, adaptable to the needs of their patients, engaged with their communities, procedurally skilled, and committed to evidence-based medicine with a focus on wellness and prevention.
The flexibility of the program allows residents to pursue unique interests, develop and implement leadership skills, and maintain work-life harmony.
We value authenticity and strive to develop physicians who are passionate about and fulfilled by what they do, within the clinic walls and beyond.
Follow us on Instagram @greenfield_fmr
By the Numbers
Program and Department Metrics
Benefits & Facilities
We have attempted to maintain salaries in the 75th percentile nationally, and here in western Massachusetts, we enjoy a lower cost of living than in major urban areas. (Full details of our salaries and benefits.)
- Four weeks of vacation per year, meal subsidy, free parking
- Clinic conveniently located across the street from hospital
- New conference rooms and resident workspace
- Residency retreats
- Electronic Medical Record (Cerner Millennium)
- Dragon naturally-speaking speech recognition software integrated throughout inpatient services and outpatient clinic
- Professional education funds to subsidize the costs of regional and national poster presentations
- Membership: AAFP (American Academy of Family Physicians) Subscription: American Family Physician Journal
- UMass and Baystate Library and Information Services, procedure simulation lab
We recognize the toll that modern medicine and broken healthcare systems exact upon physicians, especially those in training. Physician burnout and moral injury are real, and we strive continuously to ensure that our residents are supported holistically and prepared to maintain resiliency throughout residency and beyond.
At our program, we show our commitment to this with a schedule that maximizes our residents’ time spent in high-yield educational activities while minimizing night and weekend hours.
Classic New England Vibes
From the heights of Mount Sugarloaf to the rapids of the Green River, the craft breweries and farm-to-table restaurants, the charming independent bookstores, and coffeehouses along the Connecticut River and in the hill towns, there’s no place we’d rather call home!
Our residency is located in the heart of Franklin County in Greenfield Massachusetts. Close to everything, but next to nothing in comparison, there’s always something new and exciting to explore outside of clinic.
Welcome to Baystate Franklin Medical Center
Providing primary, specialty, and emergency care to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities.Providing primary, specialty, and emergency care to the people of Franklin County, North Quabbin, and surrounding communities.
Baystate Franklin Medical Center Metrics
- Beds: 89
- Physicians: 200 (active and courtesy)
- Admissions: ~5,000
- Deliveries: 400+
- Emergency Department visits: 24,000
- Surgeries: 3,600