For Your Safety and Ours
We ask all visitors to wear masks. Have COVID-19 or symptoms? Please call first.
See Our Safety Policies
Colorectal Conditions & Treatment
Innovations in colorectal surgery, combined with our surgeons’ experience, mean fewer complications and a greater quality of life after your procedure.
Colorectal surgeons at Baystate Health treat a variety of conditions, including:
Advances include minimally invasive surgical techniques (laparoscopic and robotic), ostomy bag alternatives, and procedures that help you keep normal bowel functions. For example, our surgeons use sphincter-sparing treatments whenever possible to give colorectal cancer patients the ability to pass bowel movements naturally, without an ostomy bag, after surgery.
Our collaborative approach to care means that your surgeon is part of a comprehensive team of registered nurses, nurse practitioners, dietitians, and genetic counselors, as well as doctors from other specialties—such as gastroenterology, radiation therapy, oncology, urology, and urogynecology. We’ll work together to find the right treatment for you.
Colorectal procedures we offer include:
- Robotic and laparoscopic minimally invasive surgery
- Partial or total resection of the colon or rectum (colectomy, proctectomy)
- Ostomy (ileostomy and colostomy) creation and reversal
- Ileal pouch anal anastomosis (J-pouch)
- Hemorrhoid surgery including hemorrhoidectomy (removal) and hemorrhoid banding
- Internal sphincterotomy for anal fissure
- Sacral neuromodulation / nerve stimulation therapy for fecal incontinence
- Rectal prolapse surgery including rectal resection
- Anal fistula surgery in cluding fistulotomy and anal advancement flap
- Removal of anal condyloma (warts) and anal dysplasia