For Your Safety and Ours
We ask all visitors to wear masks. Have COVID-19 or symptoms? Please call first.
See Our Safety Policies
At Baystate Health, our neurosurgeons perform the most advanced procedures with skill and compassion. You and your loved ones can rely on our team of brain and spine experts, whether it’s for emergency brain surgery, deep brain stimulation, elective spine surgery, or minimally invasive treatment for stroke.
Nationally Recognized Care in Western Massachusetts
Based at Baystate Medical Center, which is consistently ranked among the highest performing hospitals in the nation, our highly trained group of surgeons performs more than 1,200 neurosurgical procedures per year at our 716- bed independent academic medical center. Baystate is also the area’s only level 1 trauma center. This means we provide care for every aspect of an injury, including emergency neurosurgery.
When you require surgery for a neurological disorder, you can remain close to home for expert care.
Baystate neurosurgeons diagnose and treat a full range of problems related to the nervous system, including:
- Brain aneurysms and vascular malformations
- Brain tumors, such as meningiomas and gliomas
- Craniofacial deformities
- Degenerative spine and disc disorders
- Herniated discs, sciatica, and pinched nerves
- Neurological trauma
- Pituitary tumors
- Skull-base tumors
- Spina bifida and other congenital brain and spine disorders
- Spinal injuries
- Spinal tumors
- Spondylolisthesis and spinal stenosis
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Trigeminal neuralgia
Treatment and Procedures
Neurosurgeons at Baystate are experienced in the latest neurosurgical techniques and treatments, including:
- Awake craniotomy (awake brain surgery) and brain mapping
- Brain tumor surgery for meningiomas, gliomas, and metastatic tumors
- Cerebrovascular surgery
- Deep-brain stimulation (DBS)
- Endoscopic (minimally invasive) brain surgery
- Intraoperative (during surgery) imaging for cranial and spine procedures
- Minimally invasive and noninvasive treatments for strokes
- Minimally invasive spine surgery for the neck and lower back
- Neurointerventional surgery
- Neurovascular procedures to treat aneurysms, including traditional and minimally invasive options
- Pediatric neurosurgery, at Baystate Children’s Hospital, the only fully accredited, full-service children’s hospital in the region
- Shunt placement
- Transsphenoidal surgery
"I love to find the problem, fix the problem, and let people get on with their lives"
Former Olympic athlete Leslie Lyness shares what inspired her to become a neurosurgeon.
Learn More About Our Team