Admission to the PURCH Track
Population-based Urban and Rural Community Health (PURCH) is a 4 -year track matriculating up to 25 students per year.
"We are looking for students who aspire not only to heal patients but also to improve our healthcare system."
—Andrew Artenstein, MD, Executive Dean UMMS-Baystate
Application to the PURCH Track is made through UMass Medical School's secondary application process.
If you are interested in applying:
- First apply to UMass Medical School through AMCAS (American Medical College Application Service).
- You will receive detailed information about the PURCH Track with your secondary application materials.
- Complete the PURCH Track application on the UMMS secondary application website.
Those applying to the PURCH Track will be reviewed for both PURCH and the traditional MD program.
If you are selected to interview, you will be invited to participate in a 2-day interview process that involves one day at the main campus in Worcester and another day at the Baystate campus in Springfield.
During your interview day at Baystate, you will participate in the Multiple Mini Interview (MMI), get an overview of PURCH, take a campus tour, and meet faculty, residents, staff, or others.
An Admissions Committee of faculty members representing both UMass Medical School and the PURCH Track determines selection for admission.
For your PURCH application to move forward you must:
- Confirm your interest in matriculating into the PURCH Track within ten days of your PURCH interview
- Perform satisfactorily in the MMI at both campuses
UMass Medical School uses a rolling admissions process. Acceptances begin to be offered on or after October 15 and can continue into June.
If you are not accepted into the PURCH Track, you will still be considered for the traditional MD or MD/PhD program at the Worcester campus.
Opting Into or Out of the PURCH Track
Any questions about policies around opting in or out of the PURCH Track should be directed to the Office of Admissions at email@example.com or 508-856-2323.
Get complete information about the UMass Medical School application, interview, and selection processes on their website.