Obstetrics Gynecology Residency Program At-A-Glance
The Ob-Gyn Residency at the University of Massachusetts Medical School-Baystate is dedicated to providing education in an academic setting that is friendly, supportive and fun. Our training promotes engaged learning and follows best practices. We recently implemented a wellness program—Achieving Wellness and Empowerment (A.W.E.)—that involves scheduled sessions during protected didactic time, and focuses on physician well-being. We work closely with medical students and residents in other specialties. Our goal is to help every resident in ob-gyn to reach his or her personal goals, whether it be through fellowship training, research, or general practice.
Meet Our Team
Heather Z. Sankey, MD
Chair, Obstetrics Gynecology Department
Donald Kirton, MD
Residency Program Director
Carolyn Delk, DO
Associate Residency Program Director
Tanya V. Dorman, BS, C-TAGME
By the Numbers
Program and Department Metrics
- Number of residents per class: 6 | Total number of Residents: 24
- Male/female ratio: 3:17; Married/engaged: 70%, Single: 30%
- Percent of Grads entering Fellowship training over past 5 years: 26%
- Number of Faculty: 33 plus 17 community physicians
- Sub-Specialists: MFM (4, with a 5th to start summer 2020); REI (4); Oncology (3, currently recruiting for a 4th); Urogynecology (3); Adolescent & Pedi Gynecology (2); Family Planning (2).
- Tertiary care referral center: 4,200 deliveries per year | Number of LDRP rooms: 38
- Level 1 trauma center: 716 hospital beds
- Level 3 NICU: 57 bassinets
- Residency Programs: 10 | Fellowship Programs: 22
- 72,000 square foot E.D.
- Large multidisciplinary simulation lab for advanced laparoscopy and other hands-on skills
- Fully-integrated electronic medical record hospital wide
- PG1: Fundamentals (4 weeks), PDC/Genetics (4 weeks), Primary & Preventive Care (4 weeks), L&D (8 weeks), Night Float (8 weeks), Gyn (8 weeks), Gyn ONC (4 weeks), Gyn Consult (4 weeks), Pedi Adol Gyn/ED (4 weeks)
- PG2: Reproductive Health (4 weeks), MFM (4 weeks), Gyn (8 weeks), L&D (8 weeks), Night Float (8 weeks), REI (4 weeks), Oncology (4 weeks), Urogynecology (4 weeks), Critical Care & Critical Thinking (4 weeks)
- PG3: MFM (4 weeks), REI (4 weeks), L&D (8 weeks), Gyn (8 weeks), Night Float (8 weeks), Elective (8 weeks), Oncology (4 weeks), Reproductive Health (4 weeks)
- PG4: Urogynecology (8 weeks), Gynecology (8 weeks), Oncology (8 weeks), L&D (8 weeks), Night Float (8 weeks), Admin Chief/Quality (8 weeks)
- Weekly didactic schedule (protected time) from 1pm to 5 pm every Wednesday
- Monthly Simulation Training: Team Training, in-situ OB Team Simulations, Communications Simulations with Standardized Patients, and Surgical Skills training.
- Weekly Conferences: Monday noon, Thursday am on Gynecology, Friday am on Labor and Delivery, Thursday am Grand Rounds, Thursday noon (varies)
- Our residents have received FLS certification since 2011! FLS testing site on campus.
Benefits & Facilities
- We have attempted to maintain salaries in the 75th percentile nationally, and here in western Massachusetts, we enjoy a lower cost of living than in major urban areas. View our complete list of salaries and benefits.
- Call room for each resident year; resident library on L&D, large library on campus
- 4 weeks vacation/year, meal subsidy, free on campus parking
- Disability/Malpractice/Health/Life Insurance
- Annual resident and class retreats