Obstetrics Gynecology Residency Program At-A-Glance
The Ob-Gyn Residency at the University of Massachusetts Medical School-Baystate is dedicated to providing education in an academic setting that is friendly, supportive and fun. We have education that ranges from traditional didactic to hands-on curriculum to informal journal clubs in faculty homes. We work closely with medical students and with residents in other specialties. Our goal is to help every resident in ob-gyn to reach his or her personal goals, whether it be through fellowship training, research or general practice.
Meet Our Team
Daniel Grow, MD
Chair, Obstetrics Gynecology Department
Donald Kirton, MD
Residency Program Director
Michael P. Plevyak, MD
Associate Program Director
Tanya V. Dorman, BS, C-TAGME
By the Numbers
Program and Department Metrics
- Number of residents per class: 6 | Total number of Residents: 24
- Male/female ratio: 1:6; Married/engaged: 54%, Single: 46%
- Percent of Grads entering Fellowship training over past 5 years: 20%
- Number of Faculty: 25 plus 24 community physicians
- Sub-Specialists: MFM (4); REI (4); Oncology (3); Urogynecology (3); Adolescent & Pedi Gynecology (2); Family Planning (1).
- Tertiary care referral center: 4,200 deliveries per year | Number of LDRP rooms: 38
- Level 1 trauma center: 716 hospital beds
- Level 3 NICU: 57 bassinets
- Residency Programs: 10 | Fellowship Programs: 22
- 72,000 square foot new E.D.
- Large multidisciplinary simulation lab for advanced laparoscopy and other hands-on skills
- Fully-integrated electronic medical record hospital wide
- PG1: Fundamentals (3 weeks), Urgent Care (4 weeks), PDC/Genetics (4 weeks), PPC (4 weeks), L&D/Night Float (8 weeks), Gyn (11 weeks). Gyn ONC (4 weeks), Gyn Consult (4 weeks)
- PG2: Gyn Outpatient Procedures (8 weeks), Gyn (8 weeks), L&D (8 weeks), Night Float (8 weeks), RE (4 weeks), Oncology (4 weeks), Urogynecology (4 weeks), Elective (4 weeks)
- PG3: MFM (8 weeks), RE (4 weeks), L&D (8 weeks), Gyn (8 weeks), Night Float (8 weeks), Elective (4 weeks), Minimally Invasive Medicine & Surgery (4 weeks), Oncology (4 weeks)
- PG4: Urogynecology (8 weeks), Gynecology (8 weeks), Oncology (8 weeks), L&D (8 weeks), Night Float (8 weeks), Admin Chief/Quality (8 weeks)
- Weekly didactic schedule (protected time) from 1pm to 5 pm every Wednesday
- Monthly Simulation Training: Team Training, in-situ OB Team Simulations, Communications Simulations with Standardized Patients, and Surgical Skills training.
- Weekly Conferences: Monday noon, Thursday am on Gynecology, Friday am on Labor and Delivery, Thursday am Grand Rounds, Thursday noon (varies)
Benefits & Facilities
- We have attempted to maintain salaries in the 75th percentile nationally, and here in western Massachusetts, we enjoy a lower cost of living than in major urban areas. View our complete list of salaries and benefits.
- Call room for each resident year; resident library on L&D, large library on campus
- 4 weeks vacation/year, meal subsidy, free on campus parking
- Disability/Malpractice/Health/Life Insurance