UMass Chan Medical School - Baystate's ACGME-accredited three-year Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship is offered at Baystate Medical Center.
Our comprehensive curriculum in the clinical, academic, and research aspects of pulmonary disease and critical care medicine leads to board eligibility in both specialties.
You will build competence in procedural and consultative skills emblematic of excellent clinicians. Graduates are proficient in endotracheal intubations, pulmonary artery catheterization, chest tubes, bronchoscopy, including endobronchial ultrasound, and ultrasound diagnostics.
Varied Pathology Broadens Your Scope of Practice
You won't just be reading about interesting cases in text books—you'll be seeing them first-hand.
Baystate Medical Center is the largest tertiary care referral center in western Massachusetts, seeing about 1,900 patients a year in our state-of-the-art adult ICU.
You will be exposed to:
- Acute respiratory failure requiring advanced support modes (including inhalational epoprostenol, prone positioning, and occasionally veno venous ECMO)
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Interstitial lung diseases
- Neurocritical care
Diverse Faculty Expertise Ensures Exposure to New Procedures
Our faculty have extensive experience in the PCCM field, including sleep medicine, COPD, neurocritical care, and pulmonary function test interpretation.
Get hands-on experience with diverse procedures:
- Endobronchial ultrasound for diagnosis and staging of lung cancer
- Regular use of the newest forms of noninvasive ventilation
- Complex neurologic critical care
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation
- Evidence-based ventilator technique
- Difficult airway management
- COPD clinical trials and research you are unlikely to find at other institutions
Busy Inpatient and Outpatient Consult Service
You will receive supervised training in evaluating and managing a wide variety of patient cases in both hospital and ambulatory settings.
- Advanced clinical training—MICU, SICU, neurocritcal care, heart and vascular critical care—takes place at Baystate Medical Center.
- Outpatient subspecialty clinics include, cystic fibrosis, tuberculosis and non-tuberculosis disease, pulmonary hypertension, and bronchiectasis.
- Our Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is the only stand-alone, multidisciplinary program in of its kind in the region—and one of only eight in the state certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation.