PURCH: Population-based Urban and Rural Community Health
We Are in the Midst of a Health Care Revolution
We are looking for a few ambitious students who want to not only heal patients, but transform health care itself.
Prepare For Tomorrow's Health Care Challenges
PURCH is not a Primary Care track—it's a novel way to train physicians of the future.
Whether you want to pursue primary care, specialty care, research, or any other career open to physicians, the PURCH curriculum will equip you to:
- practice medicine in diverse under-served urban and rural communities
- think comprehensively about population health and the causes of health disparities
- understand patients' perspectives and how their community impacts their health
- be both a leader and a collaborator on the health care team
Get All the Experience You Need
We are the largest health system in western Massachusetts with the busiest ED in the state—more than 204,000 emergency and urgent care visits last year.
You will treat a wide diversity of medical conditions. Last year, we had:
- over 1.7 million outpatient visits, including home visits
- over 4,300 babies born
- more than 37,300 surgeries performed
Serve an Extremely Diverse Community
Baystate Health has a mission of service to under-served populations in urban and rural western Massachusetts.
Our patients are extremely diverse—from tiny neonates to frail elderly, from inner city neighborhoods to hilltown farms—who represent a variety of ethnicities. Last year our interpreters translated more than 70 languages.
Reinventing health care takes courage. It takes collaboration.
It takes you.
> Application, interview and selection process