PURCH: Population-based Urban and Rural Community Health
Reinventing health care takes courage. It takes collaboration.
It takes you.
- If you are strongly committed to caring for the health of vulnerable communities in our rural and urban areas,
- If you understand that perspective must expand beyond the health of an individual patient to include the entire community,
- If you are interested in healing not only patients, but health care itself,
Prepare For Tomorrow's Primary Care Challenges
The PURCH curriculum equips you to:
- practice primary care medicine in diverse urban and rural communities, with a focus on under-served populations
- think comprehensively about population health, social determinants of health, health disparities, wellness, and disease prevention
- be both a leader and a collaborator on the health care team as it works to find innovative new models of practice.
Get All the Experience You Need
We are the largest health system in western Massachusetts, and the region’s only Level 1 trauma center. Our ED is the busiest in Massachusetts—more than 200,600 emergency and urgent care visits last year.
You will treat a wide diversity of medical conditions. Last year, Baystate Health had:
- over 1.5 million outpatient visits, including home visits
- over 4,500 babies born
- more than 36,600 surgeries performed
Serve an Extremely Diverse Community
Baystate Health has a mission of service to under-served populations in urban and rural western Massachusetts.
Our patients are extremely diverse—from tiny neonates to frail elderly, from inner city neighborhoods to hilltown farms—who represent a variety of ethnicities. Last year our interpreters translated more than 50 languages.
Benefit From Our Teaching Expertise
Baystate has been involved in medical education for more than one hundred years, and is a recognized leader in educational innovation.
We offer 50 4th year electives for medical students, 10 ACGME-accredited residencies, and 20+ fellowship programs.
In 2015, more than 2,274 medical students, residents, nurses, pharmacists, and other health professionals were educated at a Baystate Health training site.
We're Invested in Your Success
We are committed to training our region's next generation of providers. Let us help you launch a successful primary care medicine career.
Apply to PURCH on the UMMS website.