Applying to the Surgery Residency
The UMMS-Baystate Surgical Residency Program participates in the ERAS Program for the residency application process. We have six categorical positions and four preliminary positions available for the first year of training in general surgery. Interviews are offered to the top students based on evaluation of application materials, research experience, extracurricular activities, personal qualities, preparedness, communication skills, and educational accomplishments.
For information about applying to our surgical residency program, visit the ERAS website.
- The deadline for receipt of the ERAS application is December 15—Applications received after this date will NOT be considered.
- Applications received by fax, mail, or email will not be accepted.
- We will not review applications from applicants who have been out of medical school for more than two years.
- Dean's Letter
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation
- USMLE or COMLEX Step I, II (USMLE scores must be provided with the application in order to be accepted)
All residency applicants must fulfill Baystate's Resident & Fellow Appointment Requirements
International Applicants Must Also Have
- Current certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) if you graduated from medical school outside of the United States or Canada.
- J-1 Visa or have U.S. citizen Permanent Resident status—NO other Visas (including H1B) will be accepted.
- Successfully completed the Clinical Skills requirement
- Worked in clinical medicine in the United States within the last two years—An observership or externship does NOT fulfill this requirement
- Applicants currently in post-graduate training must supply a letter of reference from their current Program Director.
Consistent with recommendations from the AAMC and the ACGME, UMMS-Baystate GME programs will conduct interviews virtually for all applicants. The chosen platform is Thalamus.
We are developing the process as well as the schedule for the 2020-2021 interview season, and updates will be published when available.