The UMass Chan-Baystate Surgical Residency Program participates in the ERAS Program for the residency application process. We have six categorical positions and four preliminary positions available for the first year of training in general surgery. Interviews are offered to the top students based on evaluation of application materials, research experience, extracurricular activities, personal qualities, preparedness, communication skills, and educational accomplishments.
For information about applying to our surgical residency program, visit the ERAS website.
- The deadline for receipt of the ERAS application is December 15—Applications received after this date will NOT be considered.
- Applications received by fax, mail, or email will not be accepted.
- We will not review applications from applicants who have been out of medical school for more than two years.
- Completed Common ERAS Application Form
- USMLE or COMLEX Step I and II Scores, passing on the first attempt
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dean's Letter
- Personal Statement
- Three (3) Letters of Recommendation (it is strongly recommended that one be from a clerkship or Sub-I director).
- All residency candidates must fulfill Baystate Resident Appointment Requirements
Baystate Medical Center accepts only J1 Clinical Visas, and we require one full year of hands-on clinical experience in the U.S. for international applicants.
International Applicants Must Also Have
- Current certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) if you graduated from medical school outside of the United States or Canada.
- J-1 Visa or have U.S. citizen Permanent Resident status—NO other Visas (including H1B) will be accepted.
- Successfully completed the Clinical Skills requirement
- Worked in clinical medicine in the United States within the last two years—An observership or externship does NOT fulfill this requirement
- Applicants currently in post-graduate training must supply a letter of reference from their current Program Director.
Consistent with recommendations from the AAMC and the ACGME, UMass Chan-Baystate GME programs will conduct interviews virtually for all applicants.