At the Forefront of Surgical Residency Education
The Surgery Department at Baystate Medical Center, the regional campus of the UMass Chan Medical School, is proud to have a role in charting the future course of surgical education in the United States. Baystate's tradition of academic excellence, and our faculty's many years of experience, is reflected in leadership on national accreditation, policy, and review boards.
Broad-based Clinical Experience on a Single Campus
- Level I trauma center experience
- 1,000+ operative cases per resident
- Night Float call system
- American College of Surgeons-accredited Comprehensive Level I Education Institute since 2007
- Bench and clinical research opportunities
Virtually every surgical subspecialty is represented on our faculty, comprised of more than 50 Board Certified or Board Eligible surgeons.
Residents can gain experience in:
- General surgery
- Colorectal surgery
- Oncologic surgery
- Endocrine surgery
- Bariatric surgery
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Vascular/endovascular surgery
- Trauma surgery
- Breast surgery
- Pediatric surgery
- Surgical critical care
- Plastic surgery
- Thoracic surgery
- Rural surgery
About Our Program
- 6 categorical residents (with 1-2 in research lab) each year
- > 80% of graduates accepted into fellowships each year
Baystate Simulation Center and Goldberg Surgical Skills Lab presents a diverse range of clinical scenarios in the form of interactive simulations that emphasize team training and crisis management. Physical and virtual reality simulations provide a broad experience in surgical skills development.
- Minimally invasive and robotic surgery training
- Full-time skills training coach
- Onsite training and testing for Fundamentals of Laproscopic Surgery (FLS) and Fundamentals of Endoscopic Surgery (FES) certifications
The Surgery Residency at UMass Chan Medical School-Baystate is ACGME-accredited.