Wilderness Medicine Fellowship Curriculum
The goal of the fellowship is to train you to be a competent leader in wilderness medicine - this includes teaching, research, leadership roles, and wilderness experiences.
You will learn not only medical skills, but also practical skills such as crevasse rescue, high angle rescue, rope work, mountaineering skills, and avalanche safety via a variety of outdoor instruction.
Wilderness Medicine Fellowship Competencies
Graduates of the Wilderness Medicine Fellowship will be competent in:
- Rescue and Survival Medicine
- High altitude and Mountaineering
- Tropical and Travel Medicine
- Wilderness Trauma
- Marine Envenomations and Animal Hazards
- Medical Kits and Water purification
More specific objectives will be tailored to your primary interests.
Other Required Activities
Requirements include but aren't limited to:
- Participate and help organize elective for medical students / AWLS conference
- Search and Rescue - Baxter State Park, participation and training
- Ski Patrol
- Attend at least one major national / international conference on Wilderness Medicine
- Apply for FAWM, Fellowship in the Academy of Wilderness Medicine, WMS Society
- At least 3 Core lectures to residents regarding wilderness medicine
- Journal Review
- Scholarly Project with focus on original research
There are opportunities for search and rescue and backcountry training locally. We also travel to remote locations to train in austere conditions.
Visit us on flickr to see some of our recent training expeditions.
Baystate Medical Center Training Facilities
- It is the only Level-I Adult/Level-II Pediatric Trauma Center in the western Massachusetts, treating the most critical and urgent cases in the region.
- The Emergency Department has an annual census >111,000 (75% adults, 25% admission rate, 7% ICU admissions).
- Our new Emergency Department and Trauma Center features 75,000 sq ft with 94 private rooms, and adjacent radiology and imaging suite.
- Baystate Simulation Center is an American College of Surgeons accredited Level I comprehensive education institute.