We offer two positions per year in our ACGME-accredited 3-year Pulmonary Disease and Critical Care Medicine Fellowship at UMass Chan Medical School-Baystate.
Our fellows gain extensive experience in inpatient and outpatient pulmonary medicine, as well as state-of-the-art critical care training.
Pulmonary training includes exposure to pulmonary hypertension, interstitial lung diseases, and general pulmonary diseases. Critical care training encompasses extracorporeal membrane oxygenation, evidence based ventilator technique, neuro-critical care, and general medicine critical care.
We emphasize competence in a wide variety of pulmonary and critical care procedures—you will graduate proficient in endotracheal intubations, pulmonary artery catheterization, chest tubes, bronchoscopy including endobronchial ultrasound, and ultrasound diagnostics.
Meet Our Team
Ernest DiNino, MD Phone: 413-794-5439
Associate Program Director
Puncho Gurung, MBBS
Program Administrator: Bethanie Calvanese, MHA
By the Numbers
- Length of fellowship: 3 years
- Number of fellows per year: 2
- Number of Faculty: 14
- Board Certified Faculty: Critical Care = 5 | Pulmonary and Critical Care = 9
- Outpatient: ~6,000 pulmonary ambulatory appointments/year
- Inpatient: ~1,200 pulmonary inpatient consults/year
Baystate Medical Center Metrics
- Number of hospital beds: 716 | SICU = 16 beds; MICU = 16 beds
- SICU/MICU Annual Volume: 1,900 | SICU = 855; MICU = 1,045
- GME Programs: Residencies = 10 | Fellowships = 22
- We have attempted to maintain salaries in the 75th percentile nationally, and here in western Massachusetts, we enjoy a lower cost of living than in major urban areas. View our complete list of salaries and benefits.
- 4 weeks vacation/year, meal subsidy, free parking
- Disability/Malpractice/Health/Life Insurance
- First and second year fellows share their own office
- Comprehensive electronic medical record
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation program - the only stand-alone, multidisciplinary program of its kind in western Massachusetts, and one of only eight in Massachusetts certified by the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Well-supplied, on-campus hospital library with 8 librarians and robust e-medicine resources (Up-to-Date, Ovid, etc)
- PGY4: MICU – 2 months, Pulmonary Consults – 4 months, Anesthesia – 1 month, Elective – 1 month, Research – 1 month, Clinic – 1 month, Sleep/PFTs – 1 month, Thoracic Surgery – 1 month
- PGY5: MICU – 3 months, SICU – 1 month, Heart and Vascular Critical Care - 1 month, Pulmonary Consults – 3 months, Elective – 1 month, Research – 2 months, ECHO – 0.5 month, clinic – 0.5 month
- PGY6: MICU – 4 months, SICU – 1 month, Neuro Critical Care – 1 month, Pulmonary Consults – 3 months, Elective – 2 months, Research – 1 month
- Weekly Conferences: core curriculum series, pulmonary conference, medicine grand rounds
- Monthly Conferences: Research, Case presentations, Journal Club, Physiology review, Schwartz Rounds, Mortality and Morbidity