Thank you for your interest in the Geriatric Medicine Fellowship at Baystate Medical Center, regional campus of the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
We train 2 fellows yearly, tailor the program to individual learners and mentor and support them well beyond graduation. This personalized approach leverages the strengths of our small program. To minimize the disadvantages of a small program we ensure that our fellows participate in at least one national meeting as well as a variety of webinars, etc. to ensure they are exposed to a wide range of views. In recent years, all our trainees have presented posters and/or taught at national meetings. One of the greatest assets to training in our program is the interdisciplinary and interprofessional nature of our teaching. We practice and learn in teams with advance practitioners, nurses, social workers and pharmacists; not just geriatricians but physicians from multiple other specialties serve as faculty. As a result, our fellows experience a broad spectrum of approaches to caring for older adults and have a wide range of choices when considering scholarly activities. We are proud to share in Baystate Medical Center’s national reputation for, and long-standing commitment to medical education. We invite you to consider our Geriatrics Medicine Fellowship Program to determine if it best fits your career goals.
Fellowship Director: Maura Brennan, MD
Associate Program Director: Sik Kim Ang, MD
Program Administrator: Nichole Russell, MBA email: Nichole.Russell@baystatehealth.org phone: 413.794.1155
Program & Department Metrics
- Length of fellowship: 1 year
- Number of fellows per year: 2
- Number of Faculty: 13 physicians |Additional AP, RN, SW, CHW, and pharmacy teachers as well
- Number of hospital beds: 716
- Number of residency programs: 10
- Number of fellowship programs: 25
Fellow Benefits & Facilities
- We have attempted to maintain salaries in the 75th percentile nationally, and here in western Massachusetts, we enjoy a lower cost of living than in major urban areas. View our complete list of salaries and benefits.
- 4 weeks of vacation/year, free parking
- Disability/Malpractice/Health/Life Insurance
- Each fellow has his/her own computer and dedicated office space
- Comprehensive electronic medical record
- Well-supplied, on-campus hospital library with 8 librarians and robust e-medicine resources (Up-to-Date, Ovid, etc.)
(Curriculum is modified to meet each Fellow's individual needs.)
PG4: Inpatient Geriatric Consultation (3 blocks); Acute Care for Elders (1 block), Subacute Care (1 block); Long-Term Care (1 block); Neurology (1 block); Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation (1 block); Geriatric Psychiatry (1 block); Peri-Operative Care of the Older Adult, (1/2 block) Community Geriatrics (1 block); Palliative Care (1 block); Elective (1 block), PACE (Program for All Inclusive Care of Elders) (1/2 block)
- Longitudinal Rotations: Continuity Clinic, Long-Term Care, Geriatric Evaluation Clinic, Urogynecology, Home Care, Hospice Primary Care, Wound Care
- Weekly Conferences: Internal Medicine Medical Grand Rounds, Core Curriculum Series, Fellow/Resident Case Conferences
- Monthly Conferences: Journal Club, Schwartz Rounds, Geritrack Meetings, Schwartz Rounds, Fellows’ Most Difficult Case Conference