Am I a candidate for the non-surgical program?
The non-surgical program at the Comprehensive Adult Weight Management Program is designed for patients who have a Body Mass Index (BMI) over 35 with co-morbidities, or BMI over 40 without co-morbidities. Co-morbidities include diabetes, hypertension, high cholesterol, heart disease, sleep apnea, severe arthritis of the knees or hips, and polycystic ovary syndrome.
- You may be a candidate for the non-surgical program if:
- You are not interested in or are undecided about weight loss surgery
- You need supervised dieting before weight loss surgery
- You are not a surgical candidate due to medical conditions
- You do not meet the age requirements
- You need to lose weight before weight loss surgery; the weight limit for surgery at Baystate Medical Center is 450 lbs
Am I a Candidate for the Surgical (Bariatric) Program?
You may be a candidate for our program if you:
- Are between the ages of 21 and 65. (Patients under 21 or over 65 years may be candidates and are evaluated on a case by case basis.)
- Are 100 pounds or more above ideal body weight
- Have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 or greater with at least 1 medical condition that could be improved with weight loss surgery including: diabetes, hypertension (high blood pressure), heart disease, sleep apnea or other medical conditions that may also qualify depending on your insurance
- Have a BMI of 40 or greater (see BMI calculator) with or without the above medical conditions
- Are willing to use weight loss surgery (WLS) as a "tool" in addition to good nutrition, certain eating behaviors and physical activity for the rest of your life
- Are free from drug and alcohol dependence
- Are committed to lifelong medical and nutritional follow-up as well as vitamin and mineral supplementation
If you answered YES to the above statements, weight loss surgery may be your best option to lose weight and improve your health.
Calculate your BMI