For most serious neurological conditions, every minute matters. You need treatment right away from a team of highly trained neurology experts.
Baystate Medical Center is home to the region’s only neurointerventional suite and specializes in emergency neurosurgery, cerebrovascular surgery, stroke treatment, and surgery for traumatic brain injury.
What Is Neurointerventional Surgery?
Neurointerventional surgery is a type of minimally invasive surgery for certain types of brain and spine conditions. This type of surgery is done by specialists from several medical fields: neurology, neurosurgery, or radiology. These experts have additional training in vascular neurology or neuroradiology.
Neurointerventional surgeons use sophisticated medical imaging to guide their surgical instruments. Some of the advanced medical imaging tests our team uses:
- CT (computed tomography) scans
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) scans
Benefits of Neurointerventional Surgery
Because neurointerventional procedures don’t require the large incisions necessary for traditional surgery, you’ll typically experience:
- Faster recovery
- Generally shorter hospital stay
- Less pain after surgery
- Less scarring
Not everyone is a candidate for neurointerventional surgery. Your care team will consider the location, size, and anatomy of your vessels before deciding what type of procedure is the right option.
Conditions We Treat with Neurointerventional Surgery
Our team can treat many neurological conditions with neurointerventional surgery, including:
- Arteriovenous malformation (AVM) and arteriovenous fistula (abnormal connections between arteries and veins)
- Brain bleeding
- Carotid stenosis (a narrowing of the carotid artery, which carries blood to your brain)
- Cerebral aneurysm
- Head and neck tumors
- Intracranial atherosclerosis (narrowing or blockage of the arteries that supply your brain with blood)