The Emergency Department at Baystate Medical Center
The Emergency Department at Baystate Medical Center is the only Level I Trauma Center in western Massachusetts. We are the largest provider of tertiary care in the region with over 110,000 patient visits annually. Within dedicated treatment areas, our professional staff cares for pediatric, trauma, and psychiatric patients as well as those with both major and minor medical or surgical illness.
The Emergency Department has 26 full-time specialists, all of whom are board certified in Emergency Medicine and are faculty members of Tufts University's only residency program in Emergency Medicine. We also offer fellowships in Pediatric Emergency Medicine, Emergency Ultrasonography, International Emergency Medicine, and Wilderness Medicine, and a post-graduate Emergency Medicine Physician Assistant residency. Along with our dedicated team of nurses and physician assistants, the Emergency Department team works to treat all who arrive needing care with the highest level of recognized, state of the art emergency care.
In addition to providing access to BMC's sub-specialists, the department is integrated into both the local pre-hospital ambulance/ EMS services as well as the regional helicopter transport systems.
Emergency & Trauma Center
Baystate Medical Center’s Emergency & Trauma Center is here for every broken bone, for every heart that falters, for every traumatic injury requiring top-flight, 24/7 medical expertise. When injury or illness strikes, we’re ready. When children are hurt or fall ill, we provide comfort, kindness, and quiet competence. When aging takes its toll, we’re here to help and heal.
Our new, larger emergency and trauma center – a 72,000 square foot expansion –features:
- Twice the number of private, adult patient care featuring rooms with glass-front doors, instead of treatment bays separated by curtains, to enhance privacy and a healing environment:
- Three dedicated Trauma Rooms equipped with the latest technology
- The region’s only Pediatric ED – a new, dedicated area uniquely designed for the treatment of children
- A private, quiet, secure environment for patients with behavioral health issues
- A new rooftop helipad and 5 covered ambulance bays
The Region's Only Level 1 Trauma Center
Our Emergency Department’s impact extends beyond Baystate Medical Center. As a Level 1 Trauma Center, we take care of patients from throughout western Massachusetts. A Level I Trauma Center increases the chances of survival for a seriously injured patient by an estimated 20 to 25 percent. As the only Level 1 Trauma Center in western Massachusetts, we provide the most comprehensive surgical care to trauma patients 24/7, including:
- orthopedic surgery
- plastic surgery (for injuries of the hands)
- emergency medicine
- internal medicine
- oral and maxillofacial surgery (for injuries of the facial skin, muscles, bones)