Minocycline Plus Amiodarone Versus Amiodarone Alone for the Prevention of Atrial Fibrillation After Cardiac Surgery (MINA)
Postoperative atrial fibrillation (POAF) is a common complication after heart surgery. Amiodarone is the drug of choice to treat POAF. Inflammation is considered one of underlying factor for POAF. Minocycline is an antibiotic with anti-inflammatory properties. This is a valuable interventional trial that would affect the method in which the investigators practice.
This research study is led by Dr. Abdallah Alameddine.
Contact: Barbara Burkott, BN, BSNCCRP, 413-794-0000 ext. 1305
Baystate Medical Center, 759 Chestnut St, Springfield, MA
- Coronary artery bypass graft (CABG),
- valve repair/replacement, or
- combination of CABG and heart valve operations.
- Prior cerebrovascular event
- Cardiogenic shock or resuscitation
- Thyrotoxicosis (excess of thyroid hormone in the body)
- Severe COPD (FEV1/FVC <70%)
- Recent history of drug or alcohol abuse
May 2020 - January 2022
Interventional (Clinical Trial)