Q: What should I keep in mind when donating toys or supplies to Baystate Children’s Hospital?
A: Although patients receive gifts during holidays and birthdays, many of the donated items are also used for our playrooms and individual inpatient rooms. Toys with fabric or cloth cannot be used for multiple patients and therefore cannot be accepted (unless they are individually gifted stuffed animals, blankets, or clothes). Please see our Wish List for specific examples of what we hope to procure for our patients on an ongoing basis.
Q: Can I donate used items?
A: Due to infection control policy and the safety of our patients, we are only able to accept brand new items.
Q: Can I make hand-made blankets, hats, or stuffed animals?
A: Unfortunately, due to infection control and hospital cleaning policies, we cannot accept knitted or crocheted hats, scarves, or blankets. We can accept sewn fleece blankets or quilts as long as they come from a smoke-free and pet-free environment and can withstand an industrial washing machine.
Q: Where, when, and how do I donate my items?
A: If the items you are donating are new, we ask that you please call the Child Life Office and schedule a time with us to drop off your items. If you do not care to meet directly with a Child Life Specialist at the time of your donation, please feel free to drop them off at the information desk of the Daly Lobby, and specify where you would like them donated to. Please leave your contact information with your donation so we can properly thank you!
Q: May I deliver my gift directly to the patients?
A: We apologize, but because of concerns for patient confidentiality and infection control, our donors are not allowed to deliver gifts directly to patients.
Q: May I donate event tickets to patients and families?
A: We welcome ticket donations. The Child Life Department will distribute tickets to the families on our inpatient units. Please note, due to confidentiality tickets should be sent to the Child Life Department for distribution to families and not left at “will call”.
*Starred items are especially needed or desired
Please no cloth items as they cannot be reused due to infection control policies.
All donated items must be new.
Infants & Toddlers
- Cause and effect light and sound toys (like See n’ Say toys - no cloth)
- *Crib gyms and mobiles (no cloth)
- Crib mirrors (no cloth)
- *Crib music boxes
- Fisher Price Little People (play sets and figures)
- *Infant toys (rattles, teethers, O-balls, etc.)
- Preemie and Newborn white, short-sleeved, onesies
- Toddler toys (stacking toys, shape sorters, pop-up boxes, play phones, etc.)
- Wabbanub Pacifiers
- Wrist Rattles
- Action figures (including animals, dinosaurs, etc.)
- Baby doll accessories (stroller, high chair)
- Building toys (Lego kits, Mega Blocks, etc.)
- *Card Games (UNO, Phase 10, Skip Bo)
- Classic Board Games (Monopoly, Scrabble, Sorry, Trouble, Battleship, Chess/Checkers, Life)
- Dolls/babies with plastic bodies (no cloth or hair) of different ethnicities
- *Earbuds/Headphones with an Apple lightning connector (for iPhone 7 and up)
- Gift Cards (Amazon, Target, movie theater, Dunkin Donuts, etc.)
- I Spy Books
- *Matchbox cars
- Monopoly Deal
- Nail polish kits
- *Playing cards
- Pretend Medical Kits
- Sports balls
- Squeezable stress balls
- Stuffed Animals (brand new only and placed in clean bags or bins for transport to Baystate)
- *iPad minis, or iPad Airs, iPods
- *New Release DVDs (Especially teen, but no R rated)
- *Nintendo PSP/DS/DSI Handheld Game Systems
- *Rated E/Teen games (for PSP/DS/DSI, PS3, XBOX 360)
- Music CDs (nature sounds/relaxation, Disney, lullaby, popular teen)
Arts & Crafts
- *Ready-to-go individual Art & Craft kits
- *Beads/String/Jewelry making kits
- *Small and medium sized canvases
- *Unpainted wooden crafts (frames, boxes, birdhouses, cars, etc.)
- *Colored Pencils
- *Wide and Thin Markers
- * 8- 16- or 24- packs of Crayons
- Unpainted trinket cardboard boxes/magnetic tins to decorate (in various sizes/shapes)
- Crayola Model Magic or Sculpey Clay
- Glue Sticks
- Paint (Tempera, Water Color, Acrylic)
- Paint brushes of various sizes
- Model kits
- Fusion beads
- Sketch books
- Fabric Paint/Kits
- Do a Dot Art Washable Marker Paints
- Sun Catchers
- Paint by Number
- Velvet (Fuzzy) Posters
- Black and white posters (for use with colored pencils or marker)
- *Kid themed Band-Aids
- *Batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, 9 volt)
- DVD Movie Projector and screen
- Find It! and other distraction items
For more information, questions, or to schedule a donation drop-off, please contact the Child Life Department at (413) 794-3145.
You may complete a service project outside of the hospital (e.g., toy drive, new book drive, earbud drive, gift card drive, collection of specific needed items like a Play-Doh collection or pacifier collection, etc.)