Q: What should I keep in mind when donating toys or supplies to Baystate Children’s Hospital?
A: Toy and supply donations we receive are used in many ways. They are given as gifts around holidays, birthdays, special celebrations and milestones, they may be used as prizes or incentives for difficult experiences and they are also used in our waiting rooms, playrooms and individual patient rooms for diversion and distractions for patients and their families.
Toys that are intended for multiple uses cannot contain fabric or cloth due to infection control policies. Therefore we respectfully request that items with fabric/cloth are limited to brand new stuffed animals, blankets, or clothing that will be given out to individual patients and will not be shared. Please see our Wish List for specific examples of what we hope to procure for our patients on an ongoing basis.
Q: Can I donate used items?
A: Due to infection control policies and safety guidelines, we are only able to accept donations of brand new items. The only used items we are able to accept are DVDs and videogames. See wish list for details, restrictions, and rating information.
Q: Where, when, and how do I donate my items?
A: We ask that you please call the Child Life Department at 413-794-3145 to schedule a time to drop off your items with us. If you do not care to meet directly with a child life specialist at the time of your donation, please feel free to drop them off at the information desk of the Daly Lobby at your convenience, and specify that they are for the Child Life Department. Please leave your contact information with your donation so we can properly thank you!
Q: May I deliver my gift directly to the patients?
A: We apologize, but because of concerns for patient confidentiality and infection control, our donors are not allowed to deliver gifts directly to patients.
Q: May I donate event tickets to patients and families?
A: We welcome ticket donations. Please note, due to confidentiality tickets should
*Starred items are especially needed or desired
Please no cloth items as they cannot be reused due to infection control policie.
All donated items must be brand new with the exception of DVDs and video games, which must have specific ratings (please see below).
Infants & Toddlers
- Board books
- *Cause and effect light and sound toys (no cloth)
- *Crib gyms and mobiles (no cloth)
- *Crib music boxes or sound machines
- Fisher Price Little People (play sets and figures)
- Glow worms/New stuffed animals without buttons/choke-able parts
- Nurture Smart Mobiles
- mamaRoo Infant Seat
- mamaRoo Infant Seat Covers
- *Infant toys (rattles, soothers, etc.)
- Toddler toys (stacking toys, shape sorters, pop-up boxes, play phones, etc.)
- Action figures (including animals, dinosaurs, Super Heroes, etc.)
- Baby doll accessories (stroller, high chair)
- Building toys (LEGO kits – complete kits and free play LEGO blocks, K’Nex, etc.)
- Dolls/babies with plastic bodies (no cloth or hair) of different ethnicities
- *Fischer-Price Little People (play sets and figurines)
- Matchbox cars
- Monopoly Deal
- *Playing cards
- *Pretend Medical Kits
- Spot It
- Sports items
- Stuffed Animals (brand new only and placed in clean bags or bins for transport to Baystate)
- *UNO card games
- *Gift cards for patient use (in smaller denominations – e.g, $5, $10, $15, $25)
Suggestions include: Google Play, Target, Walmart, Amazon, Old Navy, Five Below, movie theaters, Dunkin', fast food places, etc.)
- *Gift cards for Baystate to purchase items for specific patient needs (Amazon, Target, Walmart)
- *Headphones/earbuds (with regular headphone jack as well as with new iPhone connection)
- Make-up/Hair kits/Supplies
- *Nail Polish
- *Nerf basketball hoops and balls
- Squeezable stress balls
Arts & Crafts
- Adult coloring books
- *Baking Soda
- Beads/String/Jewelry making kits
- Black and white posters (for use with colored pencils or marker)
- Colored pencils
- *Contact Lens Solution (for making slime)*Crayola Model Magic
- *Crayons (in boxes of 24 or less)
- Do-a-Dot Paint Markers
- Drawing pencils
- *Elmers Washable School glue (clear and white)
- Fabric Paint/Kits
- Fusion beads
- Glue Sticks
- Model kits
- Paint (Crayola Washable)/Paint brushes of various sizes
- Paint by Number
- *Ready-to-go individual arts and crafts kits
- Regular markers
- Sculpey clay
- Sketch books
- Small canvases
- Sun Catchers
- *Thin/fine-tipped markers
- Unpainted boxes/tins to decorate (in various sizes/shapes)
- Unpainted wooden crafts (frames, boxes, birdhouses, cars, etc.)
- Velvet (Fuzzy) Posters
- White pillow cases/ white t-shirts of various sizes
- Plastic egg shakers
- Small hand drums
- Small keyboards
- *Batteries (AAA, AA, C, D, 9 volt)
- *Bubbles (especially no-spill tumblers!)
- *Fidget Cubes and Spinners
- “Find It!” and other Search-and-find distraction items
- *Fun bandages
- Light Spinners
- *Rubix Cubes
For more information, questions, or to schedule a donation drop-off, please contact the Child Life Department at (413) 794-3145.
You may complete a service project outside of the hospital (e.g., toy drive, new book drive, earbud drive, gift card drive, collection of specific needed items like a Play-Doh collection or pacifier collection, etc.)