One of the biggest hurdles to engaging with a health coach is deciding whether or not it's the right fit for you. If one or more of these personas sounds like you, then a WebMD health coach may be just what you need to get to take the next step in your journey to great health:
Feel great? … Then health coaching is a great option for you. It is always the right time to bring in reinforcements to help you maintain your positive lifestyle.
Dealing with a chronic condition? … For every condition, there are easy steps you can take to improve your health. Your coach will focus on your overall lifestyle as way to help you manage your condition.
Know exactly what you want to work on? .... Perfect! A health coach can match your motivation and get you where you want to go. They will take the guess work out of building a strategy and help you develop a plan so that you can succeed.
Just feeling blah? … Coaching is about the whole you. You may not know exactly what you want to work on, but together with coach you can make a plan to reduce stress, sleep better and make time for what matters most – your physical and mental well-being.
WebMD Health Coaches have an average of 8 years experience in their specialty. Every coach has an undergraduate degree in health education, nutrition, exercise physiology, mental health counseling, and/or diabetes management, and many have graduate degrees. They not only have the technical knowledge to help you improve your health, they are trained in helping you to be consistent, address hurdles and meet the goal(s) that are most important to you. All of the coaches are Certified Health Education Specialists or have a similar certification in their specialty area:
- ACSM-American College of Sports Medicine
- NCHEC-National Commission for Health Education Credentialing
- Wellcoaches–Endorsed by the American College of Sports Medicine
- American Medical Association (RNs and RDs)
- CCE -Center for Credentialing and Education
- LMHC -Licensed Mental Health Counselor
- ACE-HCC–American Council on Exercise Health Coach Certification
- AND–Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics
- NCBDE -National Certification Board for Diabetes
- TTS (University of Massachusetts)
- AFPA –American Fitness Professional Associates
- NSCA-CSCS-National Strength and Conditioning Association
You and your coach will discuss which areas of your health you may want to work on; using the results from your WebMD Health Questionnaire as a starting off point in the conversation. Together you will discuss the opportunities and barriers that you face in adopting a healthier lifestyle. Throughout the call, your health coach can propose various goal ideas that will help empower you to improve your lifestyle behaviors, and then help you decide which goal best fits your needs and lifestyle.
While it is likely that you will have the same coach each session, you will be assigned to a team of health coaches so that we can ensure someone will always be available when it works best for your schedule. All of our coaches on the team will know about your goals and concerns, so if you hear from a different coach, you will know it is someone who is qualified and is familiar with your situation. If you are not comfortable with a new coach calling you during your scheduled time, you can always ask to schedule a different time that works for both you and your preferred coach.
You can also choose to do your coaching by phone or via secure messaging within the portal and WebMD app, or you can opt to use both methods.
WebMD Weight Management Coaching
The WebMD Weight Management twelve-month program is dedicated to managing weight as a part of improving overall well-being (stress resilience, energy level, diet, exercise, sleep and more) with an emphasis on consistency and accountability. The program uncovers and unlocks emotional triggers to facilitate positive change and establishes positive patterns that become part of everyday life.
Weight Management Support
Our Weight Management Coaching program takes a long-term view of losing and managing weight – because we know that quick weight loss is rarely successful or maintained over the course of time. Our program centers on small, achievable steps that give people the time and the ability to establish new habits that can really take root. In some way, you could say that our coaches start by helping people create new habits but that eventually these are not even habits so much as they are simply the way a person chooses to live. Weight management is about more than just what you eat or how much you work out. It’s also about establishing positive patterns like sleeping well, managing stress and more.
Our Weight Management Coaches are trained to help people identify the underlying reasons for their current eating patterns. Once these are known, it is more likely they can be changed.
Coaches are available via phone and connect/messaging. Participants may also exchange email, secure message and SMS communications with their coaches.
Weight Management Coaching Phases
Phase 1: Engagement
• Participants buy-in and focus on weight loss as the primary topic for the year
• Commit to more frequent coaching sessions - 4 sessions in first 4-6 weeks
• Commit to update weight a minimum of once/week
• Establish online goals, mobile app engagement, opt-in to messaging and device integration if applicable
• Health coaches assess motivation and confidence to lose weight, spend time getting to know the individual and screen for contraindications for participation.
Phase 2: Weight Loss
• Sessions every 2-3 weeks for the following five months
• Goal is to lose ½ pound to 2 pounds maximum per week
• Coaches review progress, challenges and setbacks to keep people on track or get them back on track
Phase 3: Sustainable Lifestyle
• Monthly sessions from months 6-12
• Review goals and adjust if needed
• Continue weight loss if needed or transition into maintenance phase
Does it work?
WebMD's book of business reports that:
• 70% of Participants Lose Weight!
• Average Percentage Weight Loss for those losing weight is 5%!
• 25% lose 5% or More of Initial Body Weight!