Bright Horizons Back-Up Care Advantage
This program provides access to back-up care for both your children and adult/elder family members during a lapse or breakdown in your regular care arrangements. The Back-Up Care Advantage program provided by Bright Horizons, can be used anytime you need to be at work, but your family member needs assistance or support.
All actively employed, benefits-eligible employees (excluding union represented team members) can utilize this subsidized service.
Back-Up Child Care
Examples of when you can use back-up child care include:
- Your child’s school or center is closed for breaks, teacher in-service days or inclement weather.
- You are in between child care arrangements.
- You have a new baby and need care while you transition back to a normal work schedule.
- Your child is mildly ill and cannot attend their regular care program.
- You have a change in your work schedule and need in-home child care for evening and weekend hours.
- Your stay-at-home spouse is called in for jury duty or has an appointment.
Center-Based Child Care
All the child care centers in Bright Horizon's program meet stringent quality requirements and are licensed by the state in which they operate. Each center offers a developmentally-appropriate curriculum led by qualified teachers, follows strict health and safety policies, and ensures appropriate teacher-to-child ratios for each age group.
These centers are specifically designed to provide a warm, inviting, and engaging environment where children actively explore and participate. Teachers in back-up care settings are specially trained to tune into your child’s needs and interests, to help you comfortably transition at drop-off time, and to help your child feel welcome, secure, and at ease in what is usually an unfamiliar and new environment. In order to reserve subsidized center-based care at one of the centers listed below, go online to careadvantage.com/baystatehealth (username: Baystate, password: Healthy) or call 877-BH-CARES. Please do not contact the centers directly.
- Bright Horizons at Bright Meadow- Enfield, CT
- Bright Horizons at Suffield- Suffield, CT
- The Gorse Children's Center- South Hadley, MA
- The Children and Family Center - Springfield, MA
- Tommie Johnson Child and Family Center- Springfield, MA
- Christian Life Center- Springfield, MA
In-Home Child Care
In-home caregivers are employed by the agencies Bright Horizons has contracted with and they are professionally trained, screened, and credentialed. Experienced in child care, the caregivers are carefully selected and meet stringent credentialing requirements, pass extensive background checks and screening processes, and are trained in CPR/First Aid. In-home child care can be used when your child is mildly ill or when you prefer to have care take place in your home rather than a center-based setting. One in-home caregiver can care for up to three children.
If you are new to in-home care, you can help prepare yourself, your child and the caregiver by reviewing this Bright Horizons Tip Sheet.
Watch one mother's experience trying in-home back-up care for this first time in this video.
Back-Up Adult Care
In-home care is designed to provide comforting, individualized care in the familiar surroundings of home. Whether your family member is recovering from a mild illness or is in need of temporary care or assistance, our qualified caregivers provide in-home support so you can get to work free of worry. In-home caregivers are employed by the agencies Bright Horizons has contracted with and they are professionally trained, screened, and credentialed. Experienced in geriatric care, caregivers are carefully selected and meet stringent credentialing requirements, pass extensive background checks and screening processes, and are trained in CPR/First Aid.
Some reasons you may choose to use in-home care for adult/elder family members include:
- Companion care can be used when you have an adult family member that lives out of town and you simply want a caregiver to provide companionship to them.
- Respite care is perfect if your adult family member’s normal caregiver is not available, or if your adult relative’s primary caregiver needs a day outside the house.
- In-home care is a great option if your adult family member has had minor surgery and needs someone to be with them for the first few days after they arrive home during recovery.
If you are new to in-home care, you can help prepare yourself, your family member and the caregiver by reviewing this Bright Horizons Tip Sheet.
Watch how this employee found comfort during an uncertain time, knowing that he was leaving his mother in good hands in this video.
Visits per year and Co-pays
- Backup care visits: 10 days per employee per year
- Employee co-pays: Center-based care: $15/child/day ($25/family/day), In-home care (child and adult): $6 per hour
Register and Reserve Care
You are strongly encouraged to pre-register in advance of needing the service so you are already set up to use the program when you need care. There is no cost to register.
Username: Baystate Password: Healthy
Once you are registered, you can request care anytime online or by call Bright Horizons at 877-BH-CARES (877-242-2737).
To learn more about Back-Up Care Advantage or Care Direct:
Additional Family Support through Bright Horizons Care Direct
This benefit also provides you with resources to help you secure your own regular, on-going care needs, including:
- Preferred enrollment access at select Bright Horizons child care centers
- Discounts off tuitions for full-time care at select participating network child care centers
- Online, self-serve and self-pay resources to search for and connect with:
- Babysitters and nannies for regular and weekend care (including children with special needs) and adult/elder caregivers available through Sittercity.
- Pet sitters, dog walkers, groomers and more – available through Sittercity.
- Elder care resources, planning and referrals – available through Years Ahead and Long Term Solutions.
- Tutoring, test prep and homework help – available through BrightStudy™
- Housekeepers and additional homework help – available through Sittercity.