What is a Learning Health System?
The Learning Health System (LHS) is a novel and rapidly evolving approach for improving the outcomes of individuals, populations, and health care organizations. Learning Health Systems are organizations in which knowledge generation processes are embedded in daily practice to produce continually improved care.
AHRQ Evidence-Based Practice Center Program. Borsky et al, 2019.
In a learning health system, internal data and experience are systematically integrated with external evidence and that knowledge is used to drive improvements that can change people life and health. As a result, patients get higher quality, safer, and more efficient care, and health care delivery organizations become better places to work.
Learning Health System Rounds at Baystate Health
LHS Rounds are a venue where members of the Division of Healthcare Quality, Operations Excellence, Clinical Informatics, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and the Institute for Healthcare Delivery and Population Science collaborate with clinicians from across Baystate Health to address topics of high strategic importance to our health system. Our goal is to systematically gather and apply evidence, analytics, and informatics in real-time to guide improvements in our organization and transform practice.
Collaboration is at the heart of the LHS and convenes experts that share a common goal: to develop deeper understanding of learning processes and their supporting environments.
What will the LHS Rounds look like?
We will bring together individuals from across the health system with expertise in evidence-based practice, informatics, change management, quality and safety, study design, analytics, data visualization, and more to transform delivery of care and accelerate our journey towards becoming a LHS. At these sessions, we will design, implement, and evaluate initiatives using rigorous methods and produce novel insights that can be rapidly implemented to improve the outcomes of the population in western Massachusetts and the Baystate Health system’s performance.
If you have topics, suggestions, or feedback in mind, please contact Dr. Mihaela Stefan at Mihaela.Stefan@baystatehealth.org or Aubri Drake at Aubri.Drake@baystatehealth.org.
Upcoming LHS Rounds
- Thursday, April 15, 2021 - cancelled
- Thursday, May 20, 2021, 12-1pm, @WebEx. Michael Gould, MD, MS, Director, Division of Health Services Research and Implmentation Science, Kaiser Permanente Bernard J. Tyson School of Medicine, presenting "Embedded research in the learning health care system at Kaiser Permanente"
- Thursday, June 17, 2021, 12-1pm, @WebEx. Jared Ostroff PharmD, BCACP, BCGP, Pharmacy Ambulatory Anticoagulation Coordinator, Baystate Health, presenting "Pharmacist-led Blood Pressure Management Program in Primary Care"
- Thursday, July 15, 2021, 12-1pm, @WebEx. Tashanna Myers, MD, FACOG, FACS, Chief of Gynecologic Oncology Division, Baystate Medical Center; Associate Professor, UMMS-B; Janivette Alsina, MD, PhD, surgical oncologist, Baystate Health; Assistant Professor, UMMS-B.
- Thursday, August 19, 2021 - cancelled