Safety is our priority
We're following safety guidelines and taking precautions in our facilities.
Learning Health System Rounds
What is a Learning Health System?
The Learning Health System (LHS) is a novel and rapidly evolving approach for improving the outcomes of individuals, populations, and health care organizations. Learning Health Systems are organizations in which knowledge generation processes are embedded in daily practice to produce continually improved care.
AHRQ Evidence-Based Practice Center Program. Borsky et al, 2019.
In a learning health system, internal data and experience are systematically integrated with external evidence and that knowledge is used to drive improvements that can change people life and health. As a result, patients get higher quality, safer, and more efficient care, and health care delivery organizations become better places to work.
Learning Health System Rounds at Baystate Health
LHS Rounds are a venue where members of the Division of Healthcare Quality, Operations Excellence, Clinical Informatics, Epidemiology and Biostatistics, and the Institute for Healthcare Delivery and Population Science collaborate with clinicians from across Baystate Health to address topics of high strategic importance to our health system. Our goal is to systematically gather and apply evidence, analytics, and informatics in real-time to guide improvements in our organization and transform practice.
Collaboration is at the heart of the LHS and convenes experts that share a common goal: to develop deeper understanding of learning processes and their supporting environments.
What will the LHS Rounds look like?
We will bring together individuals from across the health system with expertise in evidence-based practice, informatics, change management, quality and safety, study design, analytics, data visualization, and more to transform delivery of care and accelerate our journey towards becoming a LHS. At these sessions, we will design, implement, and evaluate initiatives using rigorous methods and produce novel insights that can be rapidly implemented to improve the outcomes of the population in western Massachusetts and the Baystate Health system’s performance.
If you have topics, suggestions, or feedback in mind, please contact Dr. Mihaela Stefan at Mihaela.Stefan@baystatehealth.org or Aubri Drake at Aubri.Drake@baystatehealth.org.
Upcoming LHS Rounds
- Thursday, February 20, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5. Cecilia Davis, MD, Assistant Professor at UMMS-Baystate will be presenting ‘Supporting a team based approach to diabetes management in primary care’
- Thursday, March 19, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5. Jill McCormick, MBA, Director of Design and Innovation at TechSpring will be presenting on human-centered design
- Thursday, April 16, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5. Lara Goitein, MD, Founding Medical Director, Clinician Directed Performance Improvement, Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center, Santa Fe, NM, will be presenting on clinician-directed performance improvement
- Thursday, May 21, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5
- Thursday, June 18, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5
- Thursday, July 16, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5
- Thursday, September 17, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5
- Thursday, October 15, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5
- Thursday, November 19, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5
- Thursday, December 17, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5
Past LHS Rounds
- Thursday, January 16, 2020, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5. Sarah Cutrona, MD, MPH, Associate Professor at UMass Medical School will be presenting 'VHA Innovation Ecosystem: A national effort to support innovation & implementation of promising practices by frontline VA employees'
- Thursday, November 21, 2019, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5. Aaron Stupple, MD, presented on Reducing Emergency Room and Hospital Utilization of Patients with Liver Cirrhosis
- Thursday, October 24, 2019, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5
- Thursday, September 26, 2019, 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 5
- Thursday, July 18th, 2019 12-1pm, @ BMC – MassMutual 6: SWOT Analysis continued
- Thursday, June 20th, 2019, 12-1pm, @ MassMutual6: SWOT Analysis continued
- Thursday, May 23rd, 2019, 12-1pm, @ MassMutual 6: SWOT Analysis
- Thursday, April 25th, 2019, 12-1pm, @ MassMutual 5: Tara Lagu, MD, MPH, on “How can we use patient comments to improve care?”
- Thursday, February 14th, 2019, 12-1pm, @ MassMutual 6: Howard Goldberg, MD; Paul Visintainer, PhD; Sandeep Muddasani; Doug Salvador, MD, MPH; Peter Lindenauer, MD, MSc; Lauren Westafer, DO, MPH; Tara Lagu, MD, MPH; Quinn Pack, MD, MSc; on “The LHS at Baystate: mission, staff, and projects of Epi/Biostat, IHDPS, Analytics, and DHQ/Operations Excellence”
- Thursday, January 17th, 2019, 12-1pm, @ 3601 Main St, PVLSI: Howard Goldberg, MD; Peter Lindenauer, MD, MSc; & Doug Salvador, MD, MPH, on “What is the LHS and why is it important?”