NU-417 Neurology Elective
Director: Philip Hsu, MD
Location: Baystate Medical Center, 759 Chestnut Street, Springfield, MA
Note: Once registered, this rotation may not be dropped.
This elective exposes and familiarizes the student to the management of patients with neurological problems in both the inpatient and outpatient setting.
The student will be able to...
- effectively present cases of patients with neurological problems.
- perform a competent neurological assessment.
- generate an appropriate neurological differential diagnosis.
- determine appropriate diagnostic and therapeutic plans for common neurological conditions.
- communicate findings effectively to a neurological consultant
- appropriately identify and manage patients with neurological conditions requiring urgent care.
- develop clinical and diagnostic skills needed to diagnosis and manage most neurological conditions.
- have patients assigned to them in both the inpatient and outpatient settings and are expected to report directly to the attending physician with their findings and recommendations. Students are expected to function as "sub-interns" and are expected to follow their patients for the duration of their need for neurological services.
Students are required to...
- attend regularly scheduled conferences in neuroradiology, neuropathology, neuromuscular disease, student designated conferences, and neurological grand rounds.
- attend outpatient general neurology clinics, subspecialty clinics, and spend time in the diagnostic laboratories (EMG and EEG).
Hours per Week
2 students per Block
Yes, at the discretion of the Director
Available on a first-come, first-served basis
|Prerequisite: Successful completion of Medicine Clerkship.
If you would like to apply for this elective, please refer to Application Process.