Neonatal Intensive Care Unit Acting Internship
Director: Robert Rothstein, MD
Location: Baystate Medical Center, 759 Chestnut Street, Springfield, MA
This rotation exposes the student to inpatient activities in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit at Baystate Medical Center, a 55-bed unit with approximately 800 newborn infants admitted per year. The student will gain experience in managing a wide variety of clinical problems in a unit that provides intensive, intermediate, and continuing care.
The student will...
- Accompany a senior pediatric resident in all resident activities including high-risk deliveries, neonatal consults, resuscitation and stabilization of the newborn infant, treating emergencies in the delivery room, and transporting infants to the NICU.
- Be assigned a limited number of patients to care for under the co-supervision of a senior pediatric resident, NNP or PA, and a neonatologist.
- Be able to identify and stabilize the high risk infant.
- Understand the pathophysiology of the disease process.
- Learn comprehensive evaluation of neonatal physical exam findings.
- Learn use of assisted ventilation
- Learn common procedures such as intubation, spinal taps, inserting umbilical arterial catheters, peripheral IV.
- Participate in Neonatal Simulation Lab
- Participate in Multidisciplinary Rounds
- Attend Neonatal Resident Lecture Series and Pediatric Grand Rounds
Hours per Week
- On call all every 4th night.
- On shift one weekend
1 student per Block
Yes, at the discretion of the Director
Available on a first-come, first-served basis
Prerequisite: Successful completion of Medicine and Surgery Clerkships.
If you would like to apply for this elective, please refer to Application Process.