Community Medicine Pediatrics Elective
Director: Sharon Wretzel, MD
Location: Baystate Mason Square Neighborhood Health Center, 11 Wilbraham Road, Springfield, MA
This elective allows a student to become involved in the community-medicine approach to the delivery of primary care for both adults and children.
The student will…
- see patients in a variety of community health care settings including:
- students at a school health center
- home visits for pregnant teenagers and teen mothers
- the incarcerated population
- health center clinics including diabetes care, hypertensive care, HIV management, sexually-transmitted diseases, urgent care, and others
- attend core lectures in pediatrics, and both pediatric and medicine grand rounds.
- receive a brief exposure to the outpatient medicine and pediatric wards.
- interact with a variety of health care workers including medicine/pediatric residents and faculty, nurse practitioners, and social workers.
Hours per Week
1 student per Block
Yes, at the discretion of the Director
Available on a first-come, first-served basis
| Prerequisite: Successful completion of Medicine and Pediatrics Clerkships.
If you would like to apply for this elective, please refer to Application Process.